All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Bari sax help please!

debbie

I'm a new member, mum of a young sax player just turned 16 Grd 8 jazz with distinction looking for his first professional bari sax. Can anyone help him start his career with an instrument around the £3-£4k mark. We are looking at new Yamahas and Yanis ( we can get them VAT free) but he would love a vintage. He plays a loaned Yanni 911 at the moment.
Thanks so much
Debbie

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi, welcome. I hope you're up dealing with lots of different opinions... ;}

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Yanagisawa.

Avoid vintage like the plague - unless it's all about the pose, of course.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Yanagisawa.

Avoid vintage like the plague - unless it's all about the pose, of course.
I agree, exept for the MKVI at Howarth's... if someone can test it.
I assume your offspring can play already, so maybe he/she can choose by personal taste.
You cannot go wrong with yama/yani (and I would seriously think of the MkVI)

thomsax

Why? A good vintage baris like Conn crossbar, Beuscher, "The Martin Magna" w or wo low A, Selmer SBA or Mk VI w or wo low A, Buffet SDA ... are good alternatives to a modern bari.

Thomas

TomMapfumo

I agree, exept for the MKVI at Howarth's... if someone can test it.
I assume your offspring can play already, so maybe he/she can choose by personal taste.
You cannot go wrong with yama/yani (and I would seriously think of the MkVI)
He has completed Jazz Grade 8 Distinction (I imagine Trinity or Thames Valley) and uses a borrowed Yani 991. I'll stick with my Olds Super tenor trombone and spend any leftover cash on a used BMW 5 series.

TomMapfumo

Alternatively:

"
New Product
SaxArt Raw Brass Baritone SaxophoneSaxArt Raw Brass Baritone Saxophone

SaxArt Raw Brass Baritone Saxophone
SaxArt Raw Brass Baritone Saxophone
This is a Chinese-made baritone saxophone from SaxArt. It has a modern key-work design down to low A, and is in the key of Eb.

The beautiful finish is down to nature - this is truly raw-brass - no chemical finish. The saxophone has been thoroughly play-tested - and very much liked by our technician and professional players.

This is a one-off, ex-demo saxophone in as-new condition, and comes with the original maintenance kit: sling, cleaning cloth, cork grease, mouthpiece and ligature, plus two reeds. The original case has been replaced by a Winter ABS plastic case (shoulder strapped and lockable), which retails for over £250.

This is a fantastic saxophone at an exceptional price. One year warranty applies (see terms and conditions).

Our Price: £1,599.00 (Including 20% VAT)
€ Euro 1,870.83 (Inc VAT) $ USD 2,105.35 (Ex VAT)"

At: http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/a...ophone__jupiter_baritone_saxophone.html#a1569

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Why? A good vintage baris like Conn crossbar, Beuscher, "The Martin Magna" w or wo low A, Selmer SBA or Mk VI w or wo low A, Buffet SDA ... are good alternatives to a modern bari.

Thomas
I cannot think of myself 15 years old playing the crossbar I own and love now. I would have hated it and my left pinky would have suffered a lot.

Greg Strange

Howarth have a used Selmer MKVI at £4500 and a Conn 12M Crossbar at £2950: http://www.howarth.uk.com/wo/manuals/2hsaxes.htm .

Said Mr. Howard describes the Selmer MKVI as "...THE Bari for the soloist..." http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Bari/Selmer_MKVI_bari.htm

I'm struggling to find a used Yami 62 online, at time of going to press.

I don't know whether this is any help...

In NZ new Yamaha 62 series bari is about NZD15,000.00 (approx. GBP7,500.00) - so this one looks like a bit of a bargain...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/wood...saxophone/461371005000004?condition=used#used

Importing it to the UK might be quite expensive perhaps?

Regards,

Greg S.

P.S. I notice Daveysaxboy plays a System 54 bari - Davey and Tom might agree on something after all...:)))

Last edited by a moderator:

thomsax

I cannot think of myself 15 years old playing the crossbar I own and love now. I would have hated it and my left pinky would have suffered a lot.
Yes, I understand. I forgot he/she is that young. But tonwise I prefer a good old bari like Conn 12M Crossbar, The Martin Baritone .. .

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Yes, I understand. I forgot he/she is that young. But tonwise I prefer a good old bari like Conn 12M Crossbar, The Martin Baritone .. .
"Yes Yeeeees! That the sound a bari should have: big, fat, solid, but elegant and Mulliganish at the same time."

This is what I thought blowing in a crossbar after years on Selmer. But I am mostly a tenor player....

TomMapfumo

I don't know whether this is any help...

In NZ new Yamaha 62 series bari is about NZD15,000.00 (approx. GBP7,500.00) - so this one looks like a bit of a bargain...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/wood...saxophone/461371005000004?condition=used#used

Importing it to the UK might be quite expensive perhaps?

Regards,

Greg S.

P.S. I notice Daveysaxboy plays a System 54 bari - Davey and Tom might agree on something after all...:)))
The Yamaha YBS 62 is usually £5500 in UK, so the sax you mention is approx £1000 cheaper. Then comes VAT & Import duty. It is likely to end up costing £7,000+, so not worth it.

I'm sure Davey and I would/do agree on many things - he quotes both Jan Garbarek and Andy Sheppard as influences, plays saxes and so on.

Kind regards
Tom

jbtsax

Subscriber
I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Cannonball bari sax as a good playing instrument that costs considerably less than the big four. I can't say for certain who the dealers for Cannonball are in the UK, but someone should have that first hand information.

rhysonsax

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Cannonball bari sax as a good playing instrument that costs considerably less than the big four. I can't say for certain who the dealers for Cannonball are in the UK, but someone should have that first hand information.
Dawkes in Maidenhead sells Cannonball saxes. But like other sellers, they seem to be forbidden to publish prices online (strange Cannonball policy). When I was there earlier this month they didn't seem to have any Cannonball baris but might be able to get them.

Rhys

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom