support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Bari Sax advice

Luluna

Café Supporter
Locality
Vermont, USA
Hello and cheers all!

I have sold my old Martin bari (too many repairs, too often) and since I seem to be exclusively playing bari at the moment I am in the market for a new (to me) ax. I have been borrowing the Selmer student model at the college but would like to stop doing that and get my own. My budget is smallish (under $3,000 U.S.).

Here are some options I have been considering:

a Buffet (?)
https://www.junkdude.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id_product=2842

a Dolnet
https://www.junkdude.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id_product=797

a King Cleveland
KING CLEVELAND BARITONE SAXOPHONE WITH ORIG SILVER!!!

and has anyone ever heard of these Orpheo's??? I can't seem to find any information about the company which already seems suspect to me.

Amazon.com: Orpheo Signature Baritone Saxophone Silver: Musical Instruments

I am playing some challenging charts with the Jazz Ensemble this semester, some Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, and Freddie Hubbard's "Red Clay". Neither of which require a Low A.

Should I only be looking at the models with Low A? My Martin didn't have it, and I am just not sure.

I would greatly appreciate opinions or advice.

Many thanks~

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of starting a riot......why not take a look at what Phil Barone has to offer, if theire half as good as his tenors they should be good..

If it was me, it'd be a toss-up between the King and the Dolnet, with the Dolnet being the likely winner. But I like old saxes, I'm dumb that way.

Good to see you here again. Junkdude seems to have a good reputation.

Hi Kev!

I admit I am leaning toward the Dolnet as well. Tom Mapfumo consistently recommends Junkdude. I also have a soft spot for the oldies. I just need one that is in ready-to-play mode. Has anyone heard of those crazy Orpheos? I can't find any reliable information about them.

Sorry to be gone so long - have had a little battle with the Big "C". Things are looking up now. :)

thanks and kind regards ~

Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
Lori, I'm so glad your on the up. I thought we hadn't seen you on here for a while. If it's any help (which it won't be 'cos its new and you like old,) but I'm more than happy with my Mauriat.

All the best and keep well.

I have a Conn Crossbar from the 60s. Apparently they were still made in the States. Here in the UK they go for $1500.

The keywork can be tricky, but the sound is amazing.

If you want a low C with a decent keywork, try some ultracheap chinese horns. They can be surprising.

Wow Jim that looks like a really nice horn. I agree about the low A. The charts I had for last December's performance had Low A's all over the place. It's not fun to tell the director, "sorry, my sax doesn't have that note"... :p It would also be useful for Concert Band as well.

I guess that knocks out the King Cleveland. I did buy a Yanigasawa "copy" soprano with two different necks. Nice heft to it and the keywork was very smooth. I just couldn't get any notes above high G out of the thing. I'm blaming it on old age and lack of cheek muscles.

Does anyone you know anyone who has one of these Soloists from Vegas?

Taz, thanks for the well wishes. I wish I could afford a Mauriat! :)

Just get better Lori. Should have told us, we'd have been rooting for you (and saying a few payers!).

Just get better Lori. Should have told us, we'd have been rooting for you (and saying a few payers!).

Didn't want to be a downer. You can still say them, and thanks :) Getting back to playing has been the best medicine.

So Kev, it's down to the Dolnet, the Yanigasawa "copy" that Jim references above, and those o-so-shiny-and-mysterious Orpheo's....

Maybe I should take a poll?

Some info about Orpheo SG bari

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3UMfLc1tdw&feature=related

Orpheo saxes are sold by musicfactorydirect, IN.

If you want a low A I would go for modern/new one. Buffet 400 is a modern horn, King is a construction from the 20's (split bell keys, but they can be good players) Dolnet; I didn't know that made a low A bari! BW is, from what I heard, a very good bari.

Thomas

Welcome back Lori. Really glad you've come back home.
Bari's?
Haven't got a clue.
Andy

Are the Orpheus by Goodwin and the Orpheo the same saxophone???

No, I think they are diffent. My mistake. Steve Goodson designed the Orpheus SG models which are consider to be pro saxes. Orpheo intermediate. Both Asian made. I guess Orpheo's are made in China. For some years ago I was in touch with LA SAX and they sold saxes SG models as well.

Thomas

Looking to steal a bari myself, Lori.

Keep fighting girl and you'll have millions more "Moonlights in Vermont".

No, make a plan to play them.

I wish I could play them! All my instruments and supplies have to be mail order as there are no music shoppes convenient to my old farmhouse in the mountains.

Close my eyes, push a button, and hope it turns out all right :)

I wish I could play them! All my instruments and supplies have to be mail order as there are no music shoppes convenient to my old farmhouse in the mountains.

Close my eyes, push a button, and hope it turns out all right :)

Scary. London-Paris is less than three hours by train now....
Still not a good reason to buy a Selmer

Boston is 4 hours south, Montreal is an hour and a half north, NYC is around 6 hours. I know during Jazz Fest in the summer there are manufacturers there and lots of instruments for sale, I just don't want to wait that long. :)

I've only been on the train that goes under once, makes me a little nervous.

Back
Top Bottom