All profit supporting   special needs music

M/Pieces - Ligs Bari for baritone

dooce

Locality
Daventry
I'm playing baritone in a quartet and my metal Yani 7, which is great for band work, is anhiliating the rest of the group, especially the gentle soul on tenor. I could use a Yamaha 5C which is much more mellow but to the point of being lifeless. Don't want to blow a lot of money on a new piece just for this one venture so wondered if anyone had any experience of the Bari Esprit on baritone, since it seems to be getting rave write-ups for the smaller saxes?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
the gentle soul on tenor.

Does not compute.

Tom will be along in a mo to tell you how good Esprits are. Unfortunately I've never tried one. For quartet stuff (I haven't done any for a while) I used to use a Meyer 9. I think I still have an S80 somewhere if I want to be really dull. I'd have thought you could have tamed the Yanag 7 - it's not exactly rock and roll. Stick a soft boring Vandoren on it and don't blow much.

dooce

Locality
Daventry
Yep, thanks Nick but already tried pretty much that route. Funny old site this - ask for some practical advise; one response. Post an incomprehensible key signature - 3 pages and still running. Ho hum........

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I have tried the esprit on tenor and sop. Sop is great, tenor less so. I have a clarinet and alto coming. I use an S80 on Baritone with a blue vandoren traditional and have a wide dynamic range. Perhaps you could try shaving the reed or going down a size to facilitate quieter playing.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I think Nick said it all, given your parameters. The PPT is wonderfully controllable, but not within your requirements. You could try an ordinary Rico graftonite, cheap enough and plays OK.

dooce

Locality
Daventry
I think Nick said it all, given your parameters. The PPT is wonderfully controllable, but not within your requirements. You could try an ordinary Rico graftonite, cheap enough and plays OK.

The only Rico piece I ever bought wound up as a very expensive doorstop, so I am reluctant to venture back into that territory! I already thought about an S80 and would go for that if there was a cheapie around on Ebay, but right now there aren't. I've done all the usual things with reeds but still can't lose that cutting edge from the Yani that is upsetting my quartet colleagues, so I may just give the Bari a go and see what happens. That or stick a mute in the bell........

Thanks for your responses.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Locality
Rugby UK
Bill, I've got a PPT that's sitting around gathering dust if you'd like a play with it?

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
I'd flog you my S80 if I knew where it was. I may have lent it to someone.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Locality
Rugby UK
You'll have to come and get it old chap, but it's sitting here when you're ready.

c9off

Locality
London SE/Kent & Rickinghall
With that offer on the table this reply might well be superfluous....

I haven't played a Bari so can't comment on your original question but I do have a Rico m7 http://www.alangregory.co.uk/musicshop/Rico_Metalite_M7_Baritone_Saxophone_Mouthpiece.html as a back up to my regular Runyon (and PPT if I want to be heard a bit more)..

It plays really well, nearly as well as the Runyon, certainly as easy, and whilst giving it a go in the lounge just now, wife said she liked it whilst while still listening to the gogglebox - in other words whisper quiet....

worth re-considering for twenty quid....

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
That's odd. I also found the Metalite M7 an easy blow but found it to be raspy, rawcous and loud. Much the same as the tenor. They are cheap though and add a different dimension to your sound.

dooce

Locality
Daventry
That's odd. I also found the Metalite M7 an easy blow but found it to be raspy, rawcous and loud. Much the same as the tenor. They are cheap though and add a different dimension to your sound.

Yes, got to say that was what I found. One of the few mouthpieces I have never had the will to persevere with. I guess at that price there must be quite some variation between individual pieces-quality control is expensive.......

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Injection moulded plastic can be precision made. There'll be no hand finishing to enter variables into the process. Just a machine spitting them out. I think the metalite has a place but it's a niche and quite specific. Rock and roll maybe?

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
Injection moulded plastic can be precision made. There'll be no hand finishing to enter variables into the process. Just a machine spitting them out. I think the metalite has a place but it's a niche and quite specific. Rock and roll maybe?

Bang on with all of that.

jrintaha

Locality
Helsinki, Finland
The "core" tone of the M7 (tenor) is pretty bright and raucous, but it also makes a very smooth, fat subtone when you relax on it. And you can also coerce a very focused, dark sound out of it by dampening the reed a bit. It's surprisingly versatile when you learn your way around it.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Perhaps another look is on the cards. I may have judged too soon. To be fair I never blew it after my vintage HR Lelandais turned up. And I'm still in love with that.

I've just thought....get the tenor player a Metalite lol

Last edited by a moderator:

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
I'm playing baritone in a quartet and my metal Yani 7, which is great for band work, is anhiliating the rest of the group, especially the gentle soul on tenor. I could use a Yamaha 5C which is much more mellow but to the point of being lifeless. Don't want to blow a lot of money on a new piece just for this one venture so wondered if anyone had any experience of the Bari Esprit on baritone, since it seems to be getting rave write-ups for the smaller saxes?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Here is the answer: http://www.dawkes.co.uk/accessories/windcraft+baritone+sax+mouthpiece+ebonite+streamline+-amw703.html

Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

nhmaf

Locality
New Hampshire, United States of America
If I may add my 2 cents' of suggestions I certainly agree that an S80 or a Yamaha 5C mouthpiece for your bari would be a way to go to take the edge off and make things softer and quieter - I get a fair deal of use with the 5C on my SX90R baritone and on my Vienna baritone for classical type stuff. I've found that the RICO graftonite B5 is another nice mouthpiece - moderate chamber but with some rollover bafflle if you want to be able to play soft but still be able to get the horn to bark strongly when pushed. I have some metal mouthpieces too, and a Rico Metalite that work well for loud /big jazz groups or rock-type stuff, but I find that they don't work so well outside of that niche.

Mike

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom