support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Bari Esprit Tenor MP - Quality issues?

Sorry only half the message was sent! .......what other reeds do you recommend for beginners? What do you think about plastic/kevlar/fibre type reeds?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

All very subjective, I'm afraid!

My personal favourites are Marca Jazz, also available at Reeds Direct in packs of 5. I would probably recommend Jazz cut reeds for beginners as they seem to have more flexibility and character.

Regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
This might help:
http://www.abrsm.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=49064

I do not play any synthetic reeds, but have tried Plasticovers (horrible), Bari * (okish) and Forestone (pretty good) so not an authority on the subject.

Following on from Jeanette it might be an idea to get some single reeds from Howarth - all at same price as per box and have a try. I think she got Marca Jazz, Marca Superiere, Alexander DC's and Hemke recently to try out on her soprano sax and found it really interesting. I'd recommend you trying a Rigotti Gold, Rico Jazz Select, Marca Jazz and Francois Louis Excellence, maybe of different strengths, but nothing too hard.

This might help:
http://www.abrsm.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=49064

I do not play any synthetic reeds, but have tried Plasticovers (horrible), Bari * (okish) and Forestone (pretty good) so not an authority on the subject.

Following on from Jeanette it might be an idea to get some single reeds from Howarth - all at same price as per box and have a try. I think she got Marca Jazz, Marca Superiere, Alexander DC's and Hemke recently to try out on her soprano sax and found it really interesting. I'd recommend you trying a Rigotti Gold, Rico Jazz Select, Marca Jazz and Francois Louis Excellence, maybe of different strengths, but nothing too hard.

Cetrainly did and proving to be quite an eye opener:)

Good service too, ordered 3 more recently and one was damaged, replacement in the post I believe

Jx

No

An Alex Sup DC 2 (the first was a 2.5)
An Alex Superial Classique 2 which I quite like with the SR tech but my bottom lip is a bit sore so much be biting a bit with it.
and I replced the Marca Jazz which I split.

Jx

No

A Alex Sup DC 2 (the first was a 2.5)
A Alex Superial Classique 2 which I quite like with the SR tech but my bottom lip is a bit sore so much be biting a bit with it.
and I replced the Marca Jazz which I split.

Jx

As an advice, try to buy two or three of each, when you try new reeds; you never know how consistent a brand is.
On the other hand RJS are my still first choice.
SR?

As an advice, try to buy two or three of each, when you try new reeds; you never know how consistent a brand is.

Good point but so far all have been playable except the one that was damaged.

On the other hand RJS are my still first choice.

I have used these for sometime now and liked them with the bari esprit but really didn't like them with the Via Coro. I was also finding some hard to play with the bari.

Alongside Joe's mouthpiece I am trying a SR Technology Legend Mouthpiece.

Jx

To me RJS's have made the whole reed thing so much easier, they just seem to be so much more consistent than anything else I have tried and a great sound too, this is on alto anyway I don't do a lot on tenor ......John

Ps and seem to last a good length of time before giving up the ghost

Thank you everybody for your replies. It helps me to know what is recommended. I have been using 2.5 reeds with a variety of mouthpieces. My lesson today with my tutor will include mpc and reed selection for my Martin alto. Then stick with the selection until advised.

Will try the reeds and feed back accordingly.

I was talking to Peter at Windblowers the other day (off there Thursday to have a look at Tenors) and asked him about good student mouthpieces, particularly the Bari Esprit.

He said the Bari Esprit Tenors MPs were a little hit and miss quality wise, so he had stopped stocking them although the Altos were fine.

Has anyone any comment on this? Should I give the Tenor Bari MP a miss?

:confused:

Really nice folks at Windblowers. They said much the same to me when I was in trying tenors a couple of months ago when I asked about an Esprit for my sop. i.e. That the quality on Bari Esprit's for sop and tenor are somewhat variable so they had informed Trevor James of the issue and decided not to stock them, and just sell the alto version which they had found very consistent. I pointed out that the alto is a Bari Esprit II whereas the tenor and sop don't have a #II version so that could be the reason, which they hadn't seemed to have noticed. I was playing the Esprit II on alto but have recently switched to a S/H (ex-demonstrator/tester) Yani piece which I got from sax.co.uk which seems better for me, although I rarely seem to get to touch the alto. The Esprit II seemed ok for me on alto when I was first starting though so I'm not knocking them and they are amazing for the price.

I'd recommend you trying a Rigotti Gold, Rico Jazz Select, Marca Jazz and Francois Louis Excellence, maybe of different strengths, but nothing too hard.

Tom, you said earlier RJS cut reeds. That's "filed"' yes? Then, with the Jazz Selects, there's soft, medium, and hard. When I last looked at their comparison chart ( http://www.ricoreeds.com/ricoReedSaxAlto.Page?ActiveID=4679 ) I thought Unfiled, Medium, Strength 2. Should I go for Filed, Medium, 2?

I'm going to try a pack of assorted reeds for Alto & Tenor.

Apart from the Marce Jazz Tenors you kindly sent me (with the loan Bari Esprit Tenor MP) what should I try for both. I'm after a jazzy, raspy, sound. I think you'll say MJ for Alto; RigGold: RJS? Anthing else while I'm ordering?

I'll try the MP and the Windcraft one which arrived today on the Russian Tenor later or tomorrow and let you know which sounds better (despite the sax!).

To me RJS's have made the whole reed thing so much easier, they just seem to be so much more consistent than anything else I have tried and a great sound too, this is on alto anyway I don't do a lot on tenor ......John

Ps and seem to last a good length of time before giving up the ghost

Same with me until I tried Marca Jazz, Francois Louis Excellence and Rigotti Gold. I have not bought an RJS since then.

I've mostly used unfiled when I used to buy RJS's (2M on Tenor, 2H on Alto). I'd add Francois Louis Excellence, possibly Alex DC's and Alex Superials. Tend not to go much further in my choice of reed, and haven't bought a Rico or Vandoren reed for 5 years or so.

Tried the Esprit and Etude on the Russian Tenor last night. Marca jazz 2 1/2 reed.
The former is certainly more "raspy" but difficult to blow and my chops were soon aching.
Etude much easier but less raspy. This will be the one for me for the time being, until my embrochure is strong enough.
The Esprit will be the one to aim for though.
I''ll try them both on the "new" tenor in my car boot as I type. Another bargain?
More later after the wife has battered me!

Back
Top Bottom