support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Does a baritone need more air than the others?

Moz

Locality
North of Liskeard, Cornwall,UK
Had a quick blow on a bari once but can't remember...

...does a bari need more air than smaller saxes?

I think it's more about how and what you play. When I played bari in a saxophone octet and we played songs like "My Funny Valentine" I had to play in a differnt way. Often long legato tones. When I play Rockbari it's more about to play in a percussion-like way. The setup was differnt as well. I played a Brilhart HR in the octet and I use(d) a Dukoff D9 in Rock. Both idioms need air but you must use the airstream in a differnt way.

I also think we can forget the talk about that a bari needs a big person to fill the tube with air. There was a small guy in Joe Liggins Band ("The Honey Dripper" -45, some people says that it was one of first Rocksongs ....) called "Little" Willie Jackson. He played great bari. On the pictures I have his low Bb bari reaches to his knees.

Thomas

Have played Bari and alto each 50% of the time. You won't be able to hold the bottom end as long without coming up for air more frequently. See how long you can hold low A on the bari as opposed to Bb on the alto.

I play baritone most of the time and I don't think it requires more air, or effort, than the other saxophones. Playing the baritone sax is super fun and I do recommend getting one.

Jim.

I agree, it doesn't seem take more effort, but not so easy to hold the notes on for as long as with smaller instruments.

So you do actually need as big a lung capacity as possible.

With mine it seems to be a greater volume of air but at a slower rate, but over all far less effort. if that makes any sense :confused:

I have to blow my alto and tenor but I only need to breathe into the bari mouthpiece. If I blow, then nothing or a squeak comes out. People I know who play sax and has tried my stock mouthpiece just get silence/squeak to start off with. Then when they back right off and relax their throat they cant believe how easy it is. I have tried a Yani B901 and that was more like my alto/tenor in that you needed to blow.

I just asked Jane what she thinks and she says "Loads less effort and yes just lightly breathe into it"

I think everyone should have a bari :)
Col.