PPT mouthpieces

Band playing

BUMNOTE

Locality
Wolverhampton West Midlands
Hi did post a couple of weeks ago about playing my first gigs with a band,the first gigs went not to bad,but played satday 27 september...absolute crap!!! not not just me, everyone...quite embarassing..does that happen? I am not saying i am a good sax player,i have taken grades 3-4 abrsm and grades 1-2 jazz abrsm exams,but feel like packing band playing after that night and just going on my own way and just taking exams...is that wimpy or what.Bumnote.

Bad nights happen. Did the audience think it was bad? Sometimes a great gig raises your expectations and the next one brings you down with a bump. Sometimes it's the room, sometimes it's the weather. The good gigs are worth the bad ones and the bad ones get fewer as you get better or more used to playing with each other.

I was asked to put a trio together for a golden wedding recently. We didn't get a chance for a rehearsal. The song list was arranged by email. Our host is an accomplished musician which made me nervous.

It felt a little odd. I couldn't relax and had to stay sharp and focused. I trusted the guys and we got on with it. The host and his guests were very complimentary. and seemed to genuinely enjoy it.

All you can do is practice and then play in tune. It's all experience. Sometimes it's a real thrill and sometimes it's a massive let down. You should be your worst critic but be objective and don't beat yourself up. The next one may be a hoot.

This may sound a bit silly, but I think it is always better to play in a group where everyone is a bit above your level. That way you are always reaching and have good players to try to emulate. If you are trying to pull the others up there is little opportunity for you to grow.

Whadoyamean thinking' about packing' it in? Yer in a band! Up on the stage, if there is one! Have you any idea how many people would give their right arm to be in yer place? "and just going on my way and just taking exams..." Heresy, absolute heresy!
I was in my first band in 1965 when I was 15. Playing bass on my $99 Gibson Les Paul guitar clone. And guess what - girls suddenly thought me a cool guy. Not to digress but to know then what I know now, lol. Unfortunately, I was too shy and self-conscious to take advantage of my new-found celebrity. I need to clarify it was a small pond though; Friday nights playing for teenage dances in the basement of the Masonic Lodge or the Anglican parish hall.
So much for the flashback but were I in your place, I would not pack it in. I haven't been up on a stage with my horn but I'm getting there and I can't wait. Guitar players are a dime a dozen but a sax player? A sax player is the personification of 'cool'. Go for it, dude!
JIm

absolute crap!!! not not just me, everyone...quite embarassing..does that happen?
Constantly
But lot of people are over self confident and don't realize/admit it.

And guess what - girls suddenly thought me a cool guy.

Not as cool as the guy buying drinks on his tab.

Hi did post a couple of weeks ago about playing my first gigs with a band,the first gigs went not to bad,but played satday 27 september...absolute crap!!! not not just me, everyone...quite embarassing..does that happen? I am not saying i am a good sax player,i have taken grades 3-4 abrsm and grades 1-2 jazz abrsm exams,but feel like packing band playing after that night and just going on my own way and just taking exams...is that wimpy or what.Bumnote.

It happens to all of us,but you need to tell yourself that its gone and move on,don't give up learn from it.

You should at least give it another go :)

Best of 3 and all that, seriously it's too early to write yourselves off after 2 gigs

Jx

There are so many things that affect performance: the acoustics of the venue, the repertoire, the physical space and its comfort for playing, the lighting, even the nature of the audience and then there's the repertoire selection itself. There's also personnel - sometimes you're missing people that can make a difference. Where you're sitting can make a difference, you might be used to picking up cues from a particular part and couldn't hear that in the event.

It's all part of the learning curve.

Sometimes, we're very critical of ourselves and the audience thinks it was great.

Don't be disheartened, as many have said it happens. Forget it and move on to the next one. I try and leave the past behind as it can't be changed (easier said than done sometimes, I know). Onwards and upwards - your next gig will be better. :)

It's all part of your resume'. You absolutely will look back fondly (may take a while, though). I do have a dim memory of myself and a half-dozen other teenagers playing for a school dance. There was eventually a concensus of the kids that the juke-box be brought in! My older brother once told me the same thing had happened to him.

Cr
It's all part of your resume'. You absolutely will look back fondly (may take a while, though). I do have a dim memory of myself and a half-dozen other teenagers playing for a school dance. There was eventually a concensus of the kids that the juke-box be brought in! My older brother once told me the same thing had happened to him.
Critics can be so cruel ;-(

A learning experience. As I recall, through the haze of time, we pitiful players stashed the instruments, sneaked out for beers, then returned to dance to the juke. Girls were more forgiving than the guys.

Had it so many times - most times when I thought I was having a bad gig, sounding rotten, playing rotten - I got the most compliments. On the other hand - nights when I thought I was playing good and even knew damn well I was playing good nobody even freakin' mentioned it.
Don't worry about it, don't dwell on it, ferget it - rock on.

Last edited:
:sax:Hi all, thanks to all who replied, thanks for words of encouregement(that aint spelt correct)...anyway we have another gig tomorrow night Saturday...see how it goes!!!

:sax:Hi all, thanks to all who replied, thanks for words of encouregement(that aint spelt correct)...anyway we have another gig tomorrow night Saturday...see how it goes!!!

Great, break a leg and all that:)

Let us know how it goes

Jx

You're now a veteran, so you'll be cool. All good luck.

Go and get them!!!!