Software Band in a Box - where to buy????

randulo

Playing saxophone 21 months - 2.4% of my life
Subscriber
There's an old story about an employer who's trying to be kind to an elderly employee. So he asks him, "What do you think, Harry? You're the boss!"

Harry looks up from his work and says, "Bob, if I was the boss, I'd have fired you years ago!"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
Pete Effamy

Pete Effamy

There's an old story about an employer who's trying to be kind to an elderly employee. So he asks him, "What do you think, Harry? You're the boss!"

Harry looks up from his work and says, "Bob, if I was the boss, I'd have fired you years ago!"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Hang on, Pete’s on the phone:

“ No I don’t like marching bands Pete... oh, those kind of marching orders...”

mkel2000

Installed last night but some of the sounds seem to have gone to the wrong addresses and so the software can’t locate them.
Native Instruments has a great locate feature and can sort itself out intelligently. The naming of the BiaB folders/files don’t make it easy to point the locator to the sounds.
Eg it can’t find the guitar sound. Usual software gremlins...
If you are on Windows, Biab wants to be installed on the root of the C drive in a folder called bb. It's where the running program assumes the necessary files are located. You might also want to make sure you've installed all the components and didn't miss something. If you have the RealTracks, they each need to be installed individually. User created files' default folder can be installed anywhere.

OP
Pete Effamy

Pete Effamy

If you are on Windows, Biab wants to be installed on the root of the C drive in a folder called bb. It's where the running program assumes the necessary files are located. You might also want to make sure you've installed all the components and didn't miss something. If you have the RealTracks, they each need to be installed individually. User created files' default folder can be installed anywhere.
Thanks, Mac user. I wiped yesterday and downloaded again. The download was a lot better. I think the problem lies there. Will re-install today.

randulo

Playing saxophone 21 months - 2.4% of my life
Subscriber
On Mac, under /Applications/Band-in-a-Box/Preferences/ check out this txt file:

Band-in-a-Box.jpg

OP
Pete Effamy

Pete Effamy

Okay, that was it - corrupted download. Re-installed and it sounds better already. The RealTracks are working nicely, much more intelligently and musical.
Just the clunky interface now. Can you not input a chord sequence and hit enter thus moving onto the next beat/bar etc like Sibelius? Right click all the time?

rhysonsax

Just the clunky interface now. Can you not input a chord sequence and hit enter thus moving onto the next beat/bar etc like Sibelius? Right click all the time?
The interface is a cluttered mess. And some of the nomenclature they use is unhelpful too. It all smacks of having bolted on more and more functionality (much of it excellent) without ever having a fundamental rethink about how users interact with the software.

Using Enter in the Chord chart moves the cursor on by half a bar (in 4/4 time), but it is possible to put chord changes in every beat (and to push by half or quarter of a beat) via one of the many menus. The confusingly named "Chord Settings" is where to go for that.

I think most of my BiaB learning has been done by trying to make a specific effect for a backing track, wondering whether it is possible, searching around, finding out the BiaB terminology and then having a Eureka moment. Some of the YouTube videos out there are good and some are rubbish.

Rhys

OP
Pete Effamy

Pete Effamy

The interface is a cluttered mess. And some of the nomenclature they use is unhelpful too. It all smacks of having bolted on more and more functionality (much of it excellent) without ever having a fundamental rethink about how users interact with the software.

Using Enter in the Chord chart moves the cursor on by half a bar (in 4/4 time), but it is possible to put chord changes in every beat (and to push by half or quarter of a beat) via one of the many menus. The confusingly named "Chord Settings" is where to go for that.

I think most of my BiaB learning has been done by trying to make a specific effect for a backing track, wondering whether it is possible, searching around, finding out the BiaB terminology and then having a Eureka moment. Some of the YouTube videos out there are good and some are rubbish.

Rhys
Cheers Rhys

Top Bottom