SYOS

Software Band in a Box - where to buy????

Pete Effamy

So I thought I'd just go ahead and buy it. Ah. Where? Did you guys @nigeld @randulo (and anyone else) really order it from the States? What a palaver. Thomann nearer than the US of course, but I also want the Mac version, of which seems less availabile.

Is the Pro version really 32GB? Do you get the chance to download too, as well as the flash drive?

Corr, what a headache. No UK outlets so it seems, save eBay.

randulo

Playing saxophone 21 months - 2.4% of my life
Subscriber
Download FTW! Who needs a CD these days? I bought the basic version. It was actually an upgrade.

BigMartin

Be warned that if you buy the drive (rather than just the download) directly from the USA you will get charged (quite a lot of) import duty, or whatever the correct terminology is. ISTR it came to about £50 i wasn't expecting.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Most of the size is due to the sound and style files, so the more you get the bigger it is.

As @BigMartin says, if you get the software on a drive or a memory stick, then you will pay quite a lot of tax on it (I think it was VAT at 20%), which was an unpleasant surprise for me too.

OP
Pete Effamy

Pete Effamy

Cheers guys, have downloaded but wanted the stick for safety. If they want duty I’ll tell them to keep it.

randulo

Subscriber
Memory sticks are cheap, you buy one and put the software on that.

randulo

Subscriber
@Pete Effamy you should consider how much of the package you'll really want/need before investing in a full package. I know that for my own use, I have the basic (or is it called Pro, now?). Mine was an upgrade, but the package retails for $129. Other can maybe talk about the styles and files that are in addition. PG Music likes to dazzle customers with numbers, like the thousands of style and performances, but how much of it will be things YOU will use? Highly dependent on who YOU are :)

OP
Pete Effamy

Pete Effamy

Thanks Randy. I did go for the same one as you mentioned. Installed last night but some of the sounds seem to have gone to the wrong addresses and so the software can’t locate them.
Native Instruments has a great locate feature and can sort itself out intelligently. The naming of the BiaB folders/files don’t make it easy to point the locator to the sounds.
Eg it can’t find the guitar sound. Usual software gremlins...

randulo

Subscriber
Installing and operating BiaB are a challenge! I'm still trying to get a backing track for my song that doesn't crap out art the end.

randulo

Subscriber
I'm on MacOS. As far as I know it's all ok, but it was an upgrade.

OP
Pete Effamy

Pete Effamy

I notice that I’ve gravitated to “member” rather than “new member”. Is “senior member” just a statement of age?!

randulo

Subscriber
When I'm searching styles, the play button sometimes needs to be clicked more than once. Using the '+' makes the tempo value go lower. There are plenty of anomalies in the software, but with enough monkeying around, you can produce music from it.

Top Bottom