Supporting   special needs music

Backing Tracks Band in a Box - Mute / Un-mute Instruments for Different Choruses ?

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
I have BiaB 2015 on Windows 7 and enjoy exploring its capabilities to produce backing tracks in different jazz styles.

I remember stumbling on a Window in BiaB at some point in the past that I think would allow you to mute/un-mute different instruments for different choruses. So for instance, you could mute a rhythm guitar on the first time through and then play it for the second and third choruses. I think it was like a matrix of instruments Vs chorus number and the user can choose which combinations should be muted / un-muted.

I know that you can use "Bar Settings" to mute/return to normal/change volume for any instrument, but as far as I can tell that works on every time through.

As with many features in BiaB, this feature (if it really exists outside my mind), isn't easy to find in the menu system or in Help, and I'm not even sure what it was called.

I know that you can "unfold" repeating choruses into "one big chorus" and use Bar settings to do what I want. But that seems rather clumsy.

Can anyone tell me how to find what I'm looking for ?

Rhys

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
In my copy on the Mac, the "Bar Settings" box has an option at the top "Settings apply to Chorus #"
This allows different settings for different choruses.
But it seems that you have to set it for every bar in turn.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
In my copy on the Mac, the "Bar Settings" box has an option at the top "Settings apply to Chorus #"
This allows different settings for different choruses.
But it seems that you have to set it for every bar in turn.

Thanks @nigeld That seems to be able to do what I want, but isn't how I remember it and isn't very intuitive !

You seem to have to use the "Bar Settings" multiple times over on the same bar and then check what you have done by pressing the "Print Summary" button, which looks like it is a hangover from how the software was many, many years ago.

Anyway, I can now produce a Gypsy Jazz backing track where the enthusiastic violin soloist will shut up for the first time through and give me a chance to play the melody, before coming in to trade with me.

Rhys