Band In A Box (again)

half diminished

I now need to put some serious time into this - what with the Buskmanis 2010 prep and some of the improvisation stuff Karen has given me.

So a quick question for those of you in the know.......

With tenor sax, it's Bb (obviously) so when I need to enter into BIAB (for tenor) D7 G7 E-7 A7 - are those the chords I input or do I need to input them transposed into C or can BIAB do that for me?

Can't seem to find the answer....... :blush:

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
When you start a new project in BIAB unless you have set you preferences differently the new project will be in the key of C. You can either transpose the chords ie C7 F7 D7 G7 and input them directly or input the original chords click on the project key and transpose to Bb in the drop down box when all the chords will be changed to the correct ones.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Thanks but I'm still not clear. If I want to play Moritat in C (on Bb tenor), I need the chord changes C6, D7 G7 C6 A-7 D7 G7 C6.

So what do I input into BIAB to get the rhythm section playing in the right key with me?

Linky Lee

As I understand it, you have two options.

1. Change the project settings to transpose the project into Bb, then you input the chords as you have written and it will play them automatically transposed to be in tune with your sax.

2. Type the chords in as written, then use BIAB to transpose the chords (they'll then show with the different names) and play to those.

Personally, I'd go for option 1 as then you'll see C7, for example and play C E G Bb as the chord tones.
With option 2 the chord would show Bb7 and you'd play C E G Bb as chord tones - could confuse you slightly, it would me.

Linky Lee

I haven't made my purchase yet. I did buy some Sonny Rollins and Art Pepper though!

Didn't see you suggestion, will check it out. Thanks.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

It's no good, still can understand how to start a new project! Nor set the relevant preferences!!!!

Bloody manual is massive and I only need to do one simple thing but can't find the info. I'm dying here folks! :confused: :(

davhudson

When I enter chords like this I have the preferences set to be Eb and I enter the chords in concert - so if I want a C7 chords for me I enter Eb7. This display will actually show C7 even though I entered Eb7.

I find this good practise for being able to transpose quickly in my head from Eb to concert.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

All good advice I am sure but it all assumes I know where to find things like preferences. Also bear in mind I use a mac and so it will now doubt be slightly different to pc. HELP............

All I want to do is to be able to:

• Input chord changes for 12, 16 or 32 bars
  • Make this work for me playing on tenor
  • Be able to name and save the damn things

That's it! Nothing more fancy than that. The help is next to useless as (typically) I need to ask the question in the right way to find the answer.

Mikec

All you have to do is type the chords in in concert pitch and press play! If you only have them in Sax pitch, type them in in that and then change the key accordingly by selecting the correct key in the little box under the title. If you enter the chords in Bb key for tenor then click on Ab and they will show and play in the correct accompaniment key.

Linky Lee

As you're on mac, you'll probably find 'Preferences' under the menu called 'Band in a Box' always to the right of the apple menu. There you should be able to find a tab or something with an auto transpose feature. I'm afraid I don't have the actual software on my mac so don't know for sure.

Also as per screenshot here: http://www.pgmusic.com/images/Mac09_composite.jpg

There is a button called 'Prefs' 5 in from the right on the line 2nd to bottom. If you don't have that button, I imagine it can be found under the 'Window' drop down menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
half diminished

half diminished

As you're on mac, you'll probably find 'Preferences' under the menu called 'Band in a Box' always to the right of the apple menu. There you should be able to find a tab or something with an auto transpose feature. I'm afraid I don't have the actual software on my mac so don't know for sure.

Also as per screenshot here: http://www.pgmusic.com/images/Mac09_composite.jpg

There is a button called 'Prefs' 5 in from the right on the line 2nd to bottom. If you don't have that button, I imagine it can be found under the 'Window' drop down menu.
Linky

Thanks for trying to help. Already found the prefs you suggested but can find no references to transpose/auto transpose no the stuff others had previously suggested so I am still stumped and increasingly getting pi**ed to say the least. This simple task shouldn't be so hard!

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Right! Did a search in the manual on Transpose. Found this below.

Concert Pitch Adjust: Default = 0
This is useful for non-concert instruments such as Saxophone or Trumpet. The output is transposed so that you see
the music in one key, and it plays in another.
Trumpet players and other Bb instruments should set Concert Pitch Adjust to -2 (i.e. minus 2). Alto Sax and other
Eb instruments should set Concert Pitch Adjust to +3.
Here's an example of an Alto player using Band-in-a-Box by setting the concert pitch adjust to +3.
If the song is in the concert key of C transpose the song to A using the key signature box on the main screen. The
song will display in the key of A, but with the Concert Pitch Adjust set to +3 it will play 3 semitones higher, in the
key of C. So the Alto player can read the music in the transposed key while hearing it in the concert key. The song
can also be printed out in the key of A.

So I just need to find the concert pitch adjust thingy - wherever that is located! What a stupid system!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't tell you where to find it! Bugga bugga bugga!!!!!

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Found it!!!

It is under the Midi menu: Midi | Midi Settings

Wasted hours trying to find this. Anyway, for those with BIAB 9.5 and a Mac, you now know how to do this. I just set Concert Pitch Adjust to -2 and I then type in 'Bb' and it plays in Concert!!!

:welldone :thankyou: :)))

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Sounds just like MS :)))

Yep, not just MS, we use SalesForce at work and it's the same - non-intuitive with odd ways of doing things or calling things that could/would/should be obvious named as something strange.

The problem is always the same. If you don't know exactly the right question/right way to ask it then you can hardly ever find the right answer!

I think the Help menu should be called Confusion!

Top Bottom