support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ballad Of The Month June 2021

Phil

Locality
France
The June Ballad Of The Month (announced a day early) is Ain't Misbehavin'

Below you will find a Dropbox link to several pdf versions and backing tracks. You are also welcome to make or use your own backing tracks.

Nigled has been generous with his time and labors to provide these materials:

Additionally here is a link to Sonny Sitt performing the tune:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEQYAfIZifs

Now go have some fun!

Nice choice - here's Paul Desmond playing and Jimmy Rushing singing:

Maybe one for recording as vocal from @Colin the Bear or others ?

Rhys

Last edited:
I like to get in quick, but I've already been working on this for an ArtistWorks video for Eric Marienthal, so the lightning fast speed in posting isn't due to any superpower. The way I learn a new ballad is find a version I like, play along to get each phrase, then get the words. Some are harder to remember than others. The "happy on the shelf" line was hard to remember, but I got it right a few times. The rest is, well, jazz. I listened to Nat King Cole and Billie Holliday for the phrasing, and thought about the words, rather than printing a lead sheet I can't read.:) Nat sings this in Ab, so I learned it there, but found that Eb gave me a good way to improve the sound of the low notes C and B, and the old time vibrato.

The mouthpiece is a Phil Tone Interpid and the reed is a Rigotti 2 1/2 "light".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2BaPECgSi8

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I am concerned (with this type of music anyway) the sheet is there to perhaps learn the notes initially if you need help. but I wouldn't have thought Fats would ever have done it sameways anytime.

Here's a lovely duet version by Alan Barnes (clarinet) and Martin Taylor (guitar).

Rhys

I know that I am not capable of playing the same way twice, so I'll never be able to play parts in a band!
Twice maybe. A few hundred times and it begins to take shape.
The key to a lot of Fats tunes can be found in the chord tones. Follow then extend or colour them.

This has been a wake up call for me. This is a song I've been playing for 40 years. So no problem then.
Oh dear. During the 15 months or so we've been in lockdown with no playing or gigs, the practice regime went out of the window and I've forgotten how to sing, record, play in tune. Sheesh. I'm in shock. I need to get out busking. Any how...
Listen to Ain't Misbehavin'.wav by Colin the Bear on #SoundCloud

Nice work guys. I enjoyed it.

Its intersting to hear different takes on the same tune.

Colin...I feel like Im back in time with your singing tracks. I wouldnt dare even try to sing. I cant carry a tune in a bucket.

Keep em' commin

Ooooh nice one - I might have a go at this. I haven't done of of these monthly things for soooo looooong!
Funny I've never thought of Ain't Misbehavin' as a ballad although I do like it pretty slow. I have a backing track I might use that's quicker than these but still pretty pedestrian. Looking forward to giving it a go :)

Nice work guys. I enjoyed it.

Its intersting to hear different takes on the same tune.

Colin...I feel like Im back in time with your singing tracks. I wouldnt dare even try to sing. I cant carry a tune in a bucket.

Keep em' commin
You think I sound like a bucket? How very dare you. :old:
Voice is just an instrument. More you sing better you get and the feeling....
It was that guy in the Dubliners that made me give myself permission to sing in public. He sounds like a bass fog horn but still gets the emotion across. Being in tune is all that's needed and if you can make a saxophone play in tune...it's just practice. Nobody will die. Even if you think you're stinking the place up, and everybody thinks you're a hero for even trying. ;)

Thats the problem. I can play in tune but I sure cant sing in tune. Kind of like injured cats.
It's just a case of developing the relevant muscles then. Do you think singers don't need to practice? ;)

Back
Top Bottom