All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

balanced action

ilovebech

Got a phone call today.A woman said she had been referred to me by a shop in the town.She wanted advice on what to do with her late father's tenor sax.He was an ex pro musician.After some time it was determined he had spray painted it black,and it said Henry Selmer Paris on the bell.Was it worth any money ?.Second phone call established it was a1949 super action,and I suggested she contact Stephen Howard, for complete strip and rebuild..PS there is one on sale in America for $7500,and it is probably sold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
:)))

Yeah, no doubt there'll be someone around wanting to pay stupid money for this old sax.

jonf

Did you see the one on eBay? As at yesterday it was over £5k. Crazy money.

Obviously this one will need a lot of work if it's been sprayed black, but even a strip and a complete rebuild will probably be worth doing.

As for scruples? Far more valuable than the material gain of a couple of grand from ripping someone off.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I think that horns like this have to be treated like cars of the era. i.e. as investment objects. Pains me to say it, cos I'd prefer to see them played. And it'll pain Nick, cos I think he'd rather see them recycled... but each to his own.

Sad thing for me is that the collectors push prices of these instruments so high that the average guy can't afford to own one.

thomsax

Who is paying £ 5000.00 for a 60+ years old alto sax? Collectors? Pros? A person with a wellpaid job? Parents? I'm not sure that there are so many saxes sold at this pricelevel?

We have them on internet here as well. I know some guys that had tried to sell thier saxes for 35.000 - 65.000 sek (£3500.00-6500.00). They didn't sell, because there were no buyer!

Why pay 50.000 for an old used MkVI when you can buy a Yamaha YTS -62 sliverplated (purple logo) 15.000 . I think the Yamaha is better for the job.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I think that horns like this have to be treated like cars of the era. i.e. as investment objects. Pains me to say it, cos I'd prefer to see them played. And it'll pain Nick, cos I think he'd rather see them recycled... but each to his own.

Sad thing for me is that the collectors push prices of these instruments so high that the average guy can't afford to own one.
:shocked:

Recycled? Of course not. Play them. All I object to is the stupid money they go for.

Mind you, I don't understand why anyone would want one in preference to a modern one.

And before anyone gets in - yeah, I know, "It's the sound, man". :rolleyes:

ilovebech

I think the lady will get the sax stripped and rebuilt,but I have said it must be looked at to make sure it is worth doing,She says it has not been damaged,apart from the black paint.

bodak

:
I think the lady will get the sax stripped and rebuilt,but I have said it must be looked at to make sure it is worth doing,She says it has not been damaged,apart from the black paint.
Black paint:!! Holy shmoley:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
one day I will post some files of my cheap chinese tenor vs my expensive 1962 MKVI, but I guess that going through a microphone will cancel all the subtleties.

I would be more than happy of buying a black painted BA tenor......

bodak

one day I will post some files of my cheap chinese tenor vs my expensive 1962 MKVI, but I guess that going through a microphone will cancel all the subtleties.

I would be more than happy of buying a black painted BA tenor......
So would i, ---if the price was right. Depends on the paint.Black Hammerite,lovely stuff,very durable ;}
Regards.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom