Baggy Trousers

JOESAX

Hello can anyone help
I play sax in a band. I play alto and tenor.
We are learning baggy trousers I belive its played on tenor?
I cant find the key or notes its played in.
Also can anyone help with the solo part I know its played on a mouth organ but I'm trying to tranpose it to sax please please can anyone help many thanks joe

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Should be plenty of chords available on line for key. Quick n dirty (after a glass of wine) on Harmonica solo (for Tenor)

Second Octave:

B,G,E,F#,G,E,G G# (play twice) then

B,B,G, E, C#.C#,A,E, B,B,G,E C# (no octave) repeat

EDIT: Sorry second time round of second phrasing should end on B,B,G,E,F,E,D#,D

Last edited:
OP
J

JOESAX

Thanks for that halfers will try that later. What do you play inbetween the verses thanks for your help
JOE

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Thanks for that halfers will try that later. What do you play inbetween the verses thanks for your help
JOE
Sorry, never played it, but it's a relatively simple riff, isn't it? Strictly's on the telly, so grabbing the horn to work it out now would result in my being ejected from the House ;)

OP
J

JOESAX

I'm told the key is in F. What would you recommend playing through out the song? Thanks again joe

OP
J

JOESAX

I had band practise today. I just couldn't find the key and the simple rifts tried it on alto and tenor. I do one step beyond easy in the band. Thanks for your help much appreciated
JOE

rhysonsax

We played it in our covers band and I wrote out the full tenor sax part. Drop me a Private Message with your email address and I can send over a PDF version.

It doesn't include the harmonica solo as that was played by our keyboards player. I remember playing an incredibly long held note behind him that gradually crescendo'd and nearly killed me. The outro throws in a 6/4 bar each time round just to confuse the dancers (and band).

Rhys

OP
J

JOESAX

Hello rhys thanks for the advice do you play the rifts high octave or the lower range? Theres 3 Maine notes he plays in the rift only need them. Also the song is in f so g on the tenor is that right. I used to read music but now I just listen and learn thanks joe

rhysonsax

Hi Joe, We played it in the original (Madness) key so it was two flats (Bb major) on tenor sax but with a few accidentals (notes not in the key signature).

The sax part is quite repetitive, so even if you don't really read music the part I wrote out in Sibelius (one page, very clear) should be useful to you. As I always do when writing out sax parts for vocal numbers, I have indicated how it relates to the vocal and also used the correct structure with a repeat back to the verse and harmonica solo and a round and round outro (Coda) to finish.

In terms of notes, lots of Db, C and Bb and G (middle range) with a few F or F# preceding the G. It's also got a repeated twiddly riff of high D to C# to D ine the "Oh what fun we had" chorus section but you can probably leave that out.

Behind the harmonica solo it is a very long held E natural before a run down from Db to C to B to Bb (mid range).

There's also another sneaky 6/4 bar leading into the verse ("the headmaster's had enough").

Rhys

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I'm no expert at all about working out keys of songs. I would hazard a guess that the nutty boys themselves didn't spend much time concerning themselves with key signatures. It's interesting that there seems to be a consensus on the Internet that the song is in Concert F, though often you find that chord progressions, right or wrong are copied between sites. so the providence of these things isn't always certain.

Having a quick play around on the piano this morning, there's Bb Maj and Bb Min and Ab and F and Fmin and C and Db chords in it. Whatever that means theoretically? I'm sure it can be worked out in line with theoretical rules, but I think Madness were just about getting those quirky chord progressions and how to bend, not break the rules. Perhaps that was all they learned at School...

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
To confuse things, I've got a vague memory of Madness being asked how they got their 'sound' and replied that the sax player didn't know it was a transposing instrument so used to play out of tune.

Last edited:
OP
J

JOESAX

I'm no expert at all about working out keys of songs. I would hazard a guess that the nutty boys themselves didn't spend much time concerning themselves with key signatures. It's interesting that there seems to be a consensus on the Internet that the song is in Concert F, though often you find that chord progressions, right or wrong are copied between sites. so the providence of these things isn't always certain.

Having a quick play around on the piano this morning, there's Bb Maj and Bb Min and Ab and F and Fmin and C and Db chords in it. Whatever that means theoretically? I'm sure it can be worked out in line with theoretical rules, but I think Madness were just about getting those quirky chord progressions and how to bend, not break the rules. Perhaps that was all they learned at School...

OP
J

JOESAX

Thank u so much I played the solo and rifts to the song using the notes and sounds perfect. It's weird cause the song is based in F for guitars so you would think its G for the Tenor sax.

thomsax

Here is a sheet music for tenor sax so can get more ideas about the song.

OP
J

JOESAX

Thanks rhys for your time I'm not the greatest at reading but can work it out. Maybe I'm a bit lazy it's just so easy to follow notes as b flat c Sharpe and so on thanks for your time joe

Dibbs

Thank u so much I played the solo and rifts to the song using the notes and sounds perfect. It's weird cause the song is based in F for guitars so you would think its G for the Tenor sax.

It's not in F as we'd normally think about it but F major is clearly the home chord that it keeps going back to. Mostly it's based on major chords rooted on notes of the F minor scale and F minor blues scale if you count the B naturals. Hence it would be reasonable to notate it in either 1 flat or 4.

Top Bottom