All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Badsax of Suffolk, Newmember

Badsax

Found Cafe Saxophone the other day and thought it looked interesting have read a few articles and found them interesting. Started to learn the Alto Sax a bit late in life, mid fifty's with no music background, now in my late fifty's and the progress is slow. But I enjoy it, not sure about the rest of the family or the neighbours, can only say not had many complaints. I would like know how long other people took to become confident/competant players.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Morning Badsax.

It's never too late to learn. Glad you've found the cafe.
How long does it take to be competent?
I'll let you know when it happens.
Welcome

Andy

llamedos

Welcome to the Cafe. First of all, it's never too late to start but it helps to be realistic - decide for yourself what you want to get out of it and set your sights accordingly. There is nothing wrong in just playing for the fun of it any more than there is nothing wrong with aspiring to be a headliner at the Royal Albert Hall, or wherever your particular boat is floated.

Above all, enjoy yourself and try not to frighten the local dog population too much!

Remember to learn by your mistakes - it has rightly been said that he who never made a mistake never made anything.

Dave

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
Welcome from me.... another late starter. Slow progress is just that... PROGRESS

trimmy

One day i will...
Slow progress is just that... PROGRESS
Says it all really :thumb:

Welcome to the cafe Badsax

My story is the same as yours, never had any experience with music other than listening to it, then i was bought a sax(alto) for xmas 3yrs ago and have loved it since.
I still struggle but i look back and think 3yrs ago i couldn't blow a note, couldn't read a note, and certainly couldn't play a tune but can do all 3, through practice.
I'm a slow learner but i am learning, you will progress, sorry you have progressed. :thumb:

Enjoy the journey :)

ps. change your name to GoodSax ;}

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Badsax.

Keep your user name, then you don't need to make excuses, like me.

ENJOY!​™

ProfJames

Elementary member
I too am in my fifties and starting exactly the same as you badsax - novice player, cannot read music and naive to everything to do with the sax.

But having had a lesson and practising I am really hooked and enjoying the experience. Wish I did it years ago.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the cafe:)

I started just under 2 years ago with no musical experience, still so much to learn but loving it most days.;}

I wouldn't describe myself as competent or confident but I know much more than I did 2 years ago, have had great fun and met new people.

It doesn't matter how long, just be patient and enjoy the learning.

Jx

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hi welcome.

I'm in my 50s and new to the sax. Difference is I could already read music, so not an issue for me. Playing is another matter!

Do everything you can to find some sort of local group to play with - it will really help you make progress.

selkie

Hi here. I'm also a newbie here. A late starter but I love the soprano. Loads of help and info here and friendly people.

allansto

Badsax ??????
change your name to a more positive one for a start.........how about goodsax.:)))Sax is always good.

First ...How long is a piece of string;}
Im 56 and Ive been playing for 1 1/2 years..... I practice about 1 hour/day about 4 to 6 times per week.
I am playing ballads and smooth jazz songs at the moment ...... not fantastically .....but I like the way I get it on.
I can play most christmas carols to a proficient level.
I dont play anything too fast yet as Im not up to it. I had to relearn to read music . counting is a definate challenge for me.
I dont Know where becoming a good sax player will lead me........ Im just lovin the journey.
Does that help
Good luck
Regards
Allansto

navarro

Hi Badsax and welcome, love your part of the country. Spent many happy Uni weekends at Fritton Lake used to help on my friends Father`s sugarbeet farm. Bloody hard work but great scenery. Oldie beginner myself (76) progressing, will be competant on a scale of 1 to 10 registering 2 at the moment. Probably reach 6 or 7 when Lizzies telegram arrives. Regds, Old saxophonists never die they get disposed of by their neighbours. N

Badsax

Thanks for the encouragement. I thought I was an oddity starting to play the sax at my age, its good to know I am not alone. All the pupils at my music lessons are so much younger than me. I am really enjoying the Journey

Justin Chune

Welcome to the cafe. Playing the saxophone is a great hobby at any age, I think. Join a community concert band and that will bring you on in leaps and bounds. Be prepared to make haste slowly is advice one band director gives to new starts. Keep on having fun.

Jim.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom