SYOS

Backing Tracks

teebones

Subscriber
I have not seen any posts on this subject, any of you play your sax with recorded arrangements, ie (take the lead) (guest spot) etc.:sax:
Tony

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Teabones, I dont think we've met, so helo and welcome to the BR.
Regarding your question, I play along to backing tracks when I go out busking. If you are after buying some I'd recomend using a company called Ameritz Its a great site with loads of choice. Have fun!;}

Chris98

Hi Tony,

I do, I've got a modest collection of Guest Spot books and some Jamey Aebersold and I'm having fun this evening with a new one, 'Movie Songs by Special Arrangement' which is a Warner Bros book. My Teacher promised me some fun stuff and that's exactly what I got :)

Another one I like is, 'Jazz Sessions' by Alexander L'Estrange and Tom Pilling (Faber Music) you have the notation on one page and then on the next page you have the same tune but it's got a hole in it for your improvisation.

Anything in particular you want to know about them?

All the best,

Chris

Mamos

I do to a certain extent as most of the learning material I use has backing tracks but it is something I will be looking at closer in the near future as I start to build my repertoire

mamos

jonf

I use them as well - great fun. As well as the ones already mentioned, there's a cracking one called Blues Saxophones: An in Depth Look at the Styles of the Masters, and a guy called Bob Mintzer has also done some good stuff as well.

Laura-Rose

I've been practicing with these backing tracks...
I've got the Guest Spot, Soul - Playalong.
The only thing that I dont like about it is that you cant slow them down!!!!
My teacher reccomended the Aebersold series, which I have on order!

littleplum

playalongs

Hi Laura

You can slow them down if you rip them to your computer and play them through windows media player.

If you right click on the edge of the media player it will come up with a menu, click view, then enhancements, then play speed settings. You can reduce the speed by about 50% with out altering the pitch. You do lose a little bit of quality but they are still very playable. It is also very useful for trying to copy stuff.

The cd must be ripped though, it will not slow down if you are just playing it through media player.

Hope that helps

regards

Dave

jonf

Hi Laura

You can slow them down if you rip them to your computer and play them through windows media player.

If you right click on the edge of the media player it will come up with a menu, click view, then enhancements, then play speed settings. You can reduce the speed by about 50% with out altering the pitch. You do lose a little bit of quality but they are still very playable. It is also very useful for trying to copy stuff.

The cd must be ripped though, it will not slow down if you are just playing it through media player.

Hope that helps

regards

Dave
Brilliant. This wins my vote for helpful suggestion of the week.:welldone:welldone:welldone

Mamos

Outstanding tip:welldone

This is going to change my life

Put that in a thread of it's own and make it sticky

mamos

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

teebones

Subscriber
This was going to be my tip.in a way beaten to the post by
little plum :))) think my version is a better option >:)

what I use myself is winamp there is download patch called (pacemaker) which allows you set tempo, pitch, and speed, to any music ripped to your music folder ie "take the lead" to settings you are happy with I think it is a lot more flexible :welldone
also another program used by myself to get me back to reading music after a break of nearly 50 years is note trainer.gets you back into reading very easy.:welldone:sax:

hope these tips are of use to someone

Tony

Andrew T

what I use myself is winamp there is download patch called (pacemaker) which allows you set tempo, pitch, and speed, to any music ripped to your music folder ie "take the lead" to settings you are happy with I think it is a lot more flexible :welldone
Tony
On the strength of your recommendation, I've downloaded winamp and pacemaker. We have lots of backing tracks for different instruments (e.g. flute in C, Sax in Eb, trumpet in Bb), and the thought of transposing them sounds great. However, I know pacemaker is installed (its in preferences), but I can't work out how to access it quickly and easily whilst in winamp to change it for that track. The 'help' definitely doesn't help!

Bari251

Bari251

As far as I am concerned, the ultimate backing tracks for practice is Band in a Box and the 9000 (nine thousand!) tunes in the use group file area.

Top Bottom