Back to Tuning

Bude Bill

A couple of weeks ago I asked for help as my KORG-DT-4 did not seem to be giving me the correct results.

Could it be me or the machine. I had plenty of help from you guys, much appreciated.

I solved it by playing the longest "C" I could manage, the thing came up "D" to begin with and then suddenly flipped to "Eb" as it should be. The point being that since then it has behaved itself and performs the complete scale correctly. So I think that the KORG was stuck when I first got it.

Anyone else had experience of this?

AndyB

A couple of weeks ago I asked for help as my KORG-DT-4 did not seem to be giving me the correct results.

Could it be me or the machine. I had plenty of help from you guys, much appreciated.

I solved it by playing the longest "C" I could manage, the thing came up "D" to begin with and then suddenly flipped to "Eb" as it should be. The point being that since then it has behaved itself and performs the complete scale correctly. So I think that the KORG was stuck when I first got it.

Anyone else had experience of this?
I have one of those tuners and love it and may have recommended it to you if I recall. So let me see if I can help. When you say it flipped, do you mean that it read D with the LEDs static to Eb with the LEDs static? Or were the LEDs moving clockwise on D?

Example: if the LEDS were moving quickly clockwise with the letter D indicated then the tuner was seeing a VERY sharp D. But if you raised the pitch very slightly then it may become close enough to Eb for the letter displayed to change. However, then the LEDs might reverse direction and move quickly counter-clockwise. If this is what you are seeing on the tuner then you are pitching it from a very sharp D to a very flat Eb. In either case, your horn would be very flat and you need to push the mouthpiece maybe 1 cm further onto the cork.

The goal is for the letter Eb to be displayed and the LEDs to be completely static. That means you are exactly in tune. Also the more slowly the LEDs rotate, the closer you are to the note letter displayed.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding you, but I thought I'd offer this and let you decide if this is the case.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Bude Bill

Bude Bill

Checked it out

Cheers Andy for taking the time to explain all of that. I have since checked my KORG and what you say is spot-on.

However my KORG is now giving me the correct readings and with the LED's stock still, at least the bottom one is still the top one is out.

So I think it must have been a fault with the machine at the start. Never mind though it is now sorted.

Thanks again Bill

Top Bottom