All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Back to an instrument after 40 years...

DavidUK

:)

Hi everyone,

Fate dictated that my wife spotted a 2nd hand Jupiter JAS567-565 in the local freebie paper a month ago and so she decided it would make the ideal birthday/Christmas present as I'd said for years I'd like to take up the Sax.

When I was 14 I played the flute at school, but under duress, so never really enjoyed it.

I've found a sax teacher, he'll be along in a while no doubt to claim (or disown) me as his new pupil. Had 2 1/2 lessons so far and getting on OK I think. Certainly much more fun when you WANT to learn how to play an instrument!

Having a little GAS already, but I understand my Jupiter is an OK student model. Bought a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece and just switched to Rico threes from twos to help with middle D.

I've already had a trawl through the forum and it seems the info is all there, as with other forums I belong to for shooting and photography.

Look forward to picking some of your brains no doubt in the future.

;}

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
Hi David welcome to the cafe :)

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, David.

With a misses like that, you'll put the divorce lawyers out of business.

ENJOY!​™

Fraser Jarvis

:)

other forums I belong to for shooting .

;}
Sweet Jesus, whatever you do don't mention shooting around here, look what happened to that last guy Hal, think they burned him at the stake! the general consensus is that shooting is a taboo subject and not socially acceptable so must not be mentioned at all costs EVER!! lots of other non sax related pursuits like cooking, painting even motorbikes are OK though:)

dooce

Oh yeah, played flute at school under duress. Been there, T-shirt etc...... Look on that time as an opportunity to learn sax fingerings in a non neighbour-annoying way - 'cos that's just about all it did for me! Enjoy your sax.

Gary in San Diego

Welcome David. I was in a similar boat. I played into my early twenties then hadn't played for over 40 years until I bought a sax on a whim for my 65th birthday. I found a good teacher and have been playing again for nearly 5 years. I'm doing local jam sessions now and feel totally rejuvenated. I that you hang in there.

dram

Hi David
Welcome. You're not too far from me. I'm in Kibworth, would you fancy a jam some evening?
dram

dram

That's where I go shooting! What level are you at? I may set you back!

:rolleyes:
I don't think you will. From what you have written I think you and I are at a very similar level. If you are available you could join in with a beginners concert band at my house on Monday afternoon at 2.00. Its a very low stress environment, we are all learning (and most of us haven't previously picked up an instrument since school) it would be great if you could come. Incidentally the music we are using has normal parts and especially simple parts for complete beginners, so, even if you feel you can't manage the full part we will have something you could play. If you can't do afternoons just tell me what evening suits you best and we'll arrange something.
dram

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidUK

I don't think you will. From what you have written I think you and I are at a very similar level. If you are available you could join in with a beginners concert band at my house on Monday afternoon at 2.00. Its a very low stress environment, we are all learning, it would be great if you could come. If you can't do afternoons just tell me what evening suits you best and we'll arrange something.
dram
You know I read that and into my head popped the memory of the kids at primary school when we (parents) went along and sat through the horrors of recorder and violin playing! How rude of me to think of that! :blush:

What instruments are you getting together for your band? Is it a mixed group of ages and sexes? I've had two and a half lessons and a cold for the last week during which I haven't picked up the sax. Can stumble through the solos in "True" and (apologies to experienced members - skip the next bit) "Baker Street" on a good day! "How commercial" says Colin the Bear no doubt...

dram

You know I read that and into my head popped the memory of the kids at primary school when we (parents) went along and sat through the horrors of recorder and violin playing! How rude of me to think of that! :blush:

What instruments are you getting together for your band? Is it a mixed group of ages and sexes? I've had two and a half lessons and a cold for the last week during which I haven't picked up the sax. Can stumble through the solos in "True" and (apologies to experienced members - skip the next bit) "Baker Street" on a good day! "How commercial" says Colin the Bear no doubt...
We are all a long way from primary school. I think the politest description is that we are all mature, I guess from the time you say you didn't play that we are all about your age. If you can play Baker Street you'll be fine. I play tenor sax, we usually have one alto sax, two or three clarinets, a trombone, a tenor horn and a violin. Attendance has been a bit erratic lately because of the snow. We are a mixed sex group but there are more women than men. Its a friendly supportive crowd so give us a call on 0116 2796458 and we'll give you any other details you need.
dram

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom