All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Beginner Back from me hols...

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
Locality
Spalding Lincs
Returned from a fortnight in Mexico :) on Sunday and in spite of jet lag spent an hour or more on the Alto yesterday and the same on Tenor today..

Now for the interesting part...

...on both instruments my embouchure felt better and less tight. The tone I am getting now is a lot nicer and my ability to play from the dots without having to refer to a scale chart for fingerings is about 100 per cent better. Still not good but definitely better.

Is this all coincidence or has anybody else experienced sudden improvements after a short lay-off? I had expected the opposite effect.

By the way I was inspired in the general direction of a GAS attack whilst there. The girl playing Soprano in the Martini bar made it look so simple. Will post a video when I have sorted it out. So far I am holding out against a trip to Windblowers for a BW Sop but who knows......

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
I think sometimes taking a break just allows your brain to process all the learning, though sometimes it can put you back. Great news though, keep blowing and good luck with your sop hunt.

Jx

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Nah I reckon the improved tone'll be blocked earholes after cabin pressure

Once your lugs have equalised your sound will get back to it's usual

Suck a boiled sweet

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I think it's often like this. You're more relaxed and it shows..

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
Often true with woodwind, never true with brass - usually takes a few days on brass before the difference shows, which it often does.

A BW sop is always a good idea but just don't spread your concentration too thin if you want good results.

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
Locality
Spalding Lincs
Nice one Ivan :) Thanks Jeanette, Kev and Tom... Nice to be back.

As for the BW Sop, no chance of spreading concentration too thin at the moment - need to rebuild finances - maybe next year - The idea is very tempting

photoman

Daydream Believer
Locality
County Limerick Ireland
As a teacher (of adults) for the last 20 years or more my basic teaching philosphy is stop when you understand something, before moving on to the next thing. My view is that this sets the brain up to think "I can do this - let's move on", rather than "I'll never get this - let's stop (for good, maybe)".

In terns of a learning strategy, we would always encourage students to stop revising for an exam a few days before the exam itself - to let the brain assimilate the information, so this could fit with the idea of having a break and finding everything is working so much better. I reckon it may only apply if you already have reached a certain standard of playing, and would definitely not apply to a complete begiiner like me.

As of now, though, it remains a tenuous and unproved theory, but I like the sound of it. (And for 1.45am, that wasn't a bad pun, even if I say so myself).

Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom