support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Baby steps.

What

Locality
Pittsburgh P.A.
I finally played my first dinky melody that actually sounded like it was right. It's silly and simple, but I was able to play it again and again. It's a good feeling, especially since I was worried about being able to play at all after a stack of 2x4s fell on my arm today. Thanks again for all the tips and that great "Art of the Saxophone" book, I like all the info it gives and the helpful exercises.

try not to play it woodenly... Light and delicate, with a nice bounce please!

Sorry Kev, I struggle with a nice bounce, I find the mouthpiece bashes my teeth in!!!!

Nice one What, and sack the roadie that stacked the 2x4's badly (whatever 2x4's are)

Hi What

Well done, it is baby steps all the way at the start and sometimes two forward and one back. Great feeling when it goes well though:)

Keep blowing:sax:

Jx

I will have to remover that;}. Least I was not near the ton of bricks might have ended up flat.

Nice one What, and sack the roadie that stacked the 2x4's badly (whatever 2x4's are)

Probably a terminology difference across the pond. Sadly I am a supervisor at a home improvement store, I don't have a roadie to blame, but when I do he better watch his 2x4 stacking. :mad:

2x4's are just reed blanks, great for making your own and a lot cheaper than vandoren etc!

Just in case there's any doubt, that's definitely NOT what I was referring to.

But in any case, according to the link Kev posted, it was not used as a term of abuse, just a synonym for "Jew". So I hope no offense was caused to anyone.

I know, I was just trying to explain, not complaining!

In this metric age, they are of course 50x100mm

Sorry Kev, I struggle with a nice bounce, I find the mouthpiece bashes my teeth in!!!!

2x4's are cars not suitable for taking children to school half a mile away and driving on pavements.

That sounds like it would have hurt a lot more. Good thing us Americans stick to the SAE system for no apparent reason.
It's what we call Imperial measure - we still get 2"x4" timber - it's just rounded up to 25mm per inch. We're still Imperial in the UK for day-to-day usage, but schools have taught maths and science in metric/SI units since about 1970. So we'll talk in yards, feet and inches, or stones, pounds and ounces. But in the shops and at school evrthing is in MKS SI units (metres/kilogrammes/seconds) such as Joules, Watts, and Newtons etc. We do tend to use Celsius rather the Fahrenheit, but road signs etc are still in miles and MPH.

Nothing like consistency.

And beer is sold by the pint....

Metric plumbing pipe sizes were chosen to be as close to the inch equivalents as possible. Which means that the old imperial threads (BSP) are still used.

Funny thing is that this is also the case in Germany, imperial threads for plumbing, and a pound weight (Pfund) is still used unofficially - but meaning half a kilo.

What I love is that pints over here are 25% larger than the pints back in the US. Disappointing when I figured out how many m.p.g. my car really got, though.

Wow a pint worth the asking price! I love beer well some beer, like Great Lakes, dogfish head, stone brewery. Of course if a local bar carries um they charge out of the nose. A bigger pint would make drinking out worth it again! :cheers:

Wow a pint worth the asking price! I love beer well some beer, like Great Lakes, dogfish head, stone brewery. Of course if a local bar carries um they charge out of the nose. A bigger pint would make drinking out worth it again! :cheers:
Yes - we have 20oz to the pint rather than 16. My local pub (well it's a few miles away - about 10 minutes by car) always has a selection of nice local beers, including their own house beer. Beer's about £2.60 a pint (so about $4 which would be $3 for an equivalent US pint I think).

I'm sure if you ever come over to the UK various forum members would be pleased to introduce you to various parts of the country - even the Border Marches here in Shropshire.