SYOS

Avian In Our High Desert Area:

Hal the Elder

Avians In Our High Desert Area:

073.JPG
Cooper's Hawk

From the largest to the smallest, in approximate order:

TURKEY VULTURE...wingspan to 72 inches.

We've been seeing them by the hundreds over our neighborhood, on their annual Southern Migration.

RAVEN...wingspan to 59 inches.

They are everywhere up here...much larger than a Crow, with a loud, raucous call, and very aggressive.

COOPER'S HAWK...wingspan to 29 inches.

A couple live in a tall Pine next door...we saw the female kill a small bird in flight right in our back yard.

RED TAIL HAWK...We don't see them as often as the Cooper's.

DOVE...they frequent our property. I talk to them with my Dove Call, but they ignore it.

BLACKBIRD

ROBIN

SPARROW

GOLDFINCH

HUMMINGBIRD

That's All.....

HAL (Here's a shot of a Cooper's Hawk on a pole outside our yard)

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg Strange

Re: Avians In Our High Desert Area:

Hey Hal,

Must be pretty interesting living in the desert and the different flora and fauna...a few rattle snakes I presume...

What is your nearest town / city - Lancaster?

How far from L.A. are you?

Regards,

Greg S.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber

Nice Hal. Love birds. Lots round here. Storks, herons, egrets, finches, bee-eaters, hoopoes, tits, swallows, swifts, robins, lapwings, redstarts, buzzards, ketrels, harriers, woodpeckers, owls, nuthatches...

QWales

I believe the biggest British bird is the Grey Heron which has a wing span of over 6ft. You don't see them much where I am unless you go hunting the marsh lands out of town.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator

I believe the biggest British bird is the Grey Heron which has a wing span of over 6ft. You don't see them much where I am unless you go hunting the marsh lands out of town.
I always thought the biggest British bird was Harriet Grey. She used to hang around the Black Gardenia, in Soho. She was huge, and with high heels she was even taller. Never measured her, though.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber

Hal and Kev's posts look like menus to me.

Hal the Elder

HEY GREG,

Thanks for your interest in this historic old Mining and Ranching area, known as the Victor Valley.

My nearest Town is the one I live in: Apple Valley. It's not a City, but a Township, and visitors are frowned upon if they refer to it as a City!

Apple Valley has a current population of just over 69,000 and a sprawling area of 78 square miles, at an average elevation of 3000 feet above sea level, in San Bernardino County, the largest county in the USA.

190.jpg

Residents live in one of three types of homesites: Semi-Rural, Rural, and Wilderness. We live in a Semi-Rural zone, a short distance from the estate of the late Western film legend, Roy Rogers. The Town Council forbids developers to build on parcels of less than 1/2 acre in Semi-Rural sites.

Rural residents live in small "rancho" parcels of 2.5, 5, 10, 15, and 20 acres, where they keep livestock and do small-scale farming and ranching.

Our most fearful critter in these parts is the "Mojave Green", a deadly rattlesnake, found mostly in the rural and wilderness areas of the Town.

We're about 95 road-miles from Los Angeles, and about 50 miles from Lancaster, which is also in a desert area called the Antelope Valley.

Shown is 10,064 ft. Mt. Baldy, in the San Gabriel mountain range, taken from our neighborhood at the summit of Sitting Bull Road, at 3000 feet)

HAL

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber

That's a nice selection of European birds, Kev!

Hal
What's even nicer is that many of them migrate to South Africa, where I used to live. And I forgot the Siberian Rooks which will be arriving in a few weeks - must be really bad up there if they come down here for winter, it's often -20C or less here. Many other birds here as well. Lovely area!

navarro

Hal and Kev's posts look like menus to me.
Now now Targa I know it`s panto time and you have been polishing your boots, but our feathered friends should not be the target for the menu of the `Kats in Krisis` Christmas bash. Meow N.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom