All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Hal the Elder

No need to guess this one:

It's a 1.125-Million Volt Van de Graaff Electrostatic Generator that I built about 8 years ago, and dismantled shortly afterward.

It was about 7 feet tall, and generated arcs 4-feet long radially outward from its 30" sphere.

Those discharges were too much for the 8-foot ceiling of my game room, causing the arcs to snap into the overhead lighting circuits and pop breakers frequently.

It was powered by a 1/4-HP motor driving a 4.5"-wide neoprene belt over dielectric and conductive drum pulleys, turned up on my lathe.

I quickly discovered that it was inappropriate and unsafe for use indoors under ceilings less than 12 feet high.

After dismantling it, I salvaged the 30" sphere which has since been used as a Garden Orb.

Van de Graaffs are more serious in their usage than the classroom Wimshurst and Bonetti machines. Large versions of them were used at Los Alamos for accellerating subatomic particles during fission research for the first Atomic Bombs of the Manhattan Project.

That's all.....

HAL

Last edited by a moderator:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I insist that trying to bring the dead back to life is immoral and dangerous.

On the pedantic side, why not learning how to upload pictures instead of using your avatar? A lot of posts don't make sense anymore, if you change your avatar so often.

I go and insulate myself.

Hal the Elder

Aldevis, I would LOVE to know how to post full-size 800x600 pixel photos on this forum, like I do on my other 3 forums, but I don't know how on this one!

If I could do that, then I would never change my Avatar!

HAL

spike

Old Indian
Come on Hal give us an easier one this time - I was tending to a Gene manipulated intergalactic Cactus. Not sure my missus would consent to a sparking 30" silver revolving globe mounted on a powder blue pedestal in our back garden. It would certainly clash with the dark blue Enzians on the third tier of the rock garden if it didn't zap'em dead first. Keep'em coming Hal I get fed up with reeds and mouthpiece questions. (That comment might be a can of worms - oh dear but never mind.)

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
I'm beginning to think it's probably a good thing you live in the Mohave desert...John

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
I'm no expert but I think you click on one of the icons on the top of the reply screen ie the one that looks like a picture which allows you take direct from your pictures on your pc ......john

trimmy

One day i will...
I'm no expert but I think you click on one of the icons on the top of the reply screen ie the one that looks like a picture which allows you take direct from your pictures on your pc ......john
Correct....... as meerkat says 'simples'

jonf

Aldevis, I would LOVE to know how to post full-size 800x600 pixel photos on this forum, like I do on my other 3 forums, but I don't know how on this one!
You can build a 1.125 million volt Van der Graaf generator but can't post a pcture on the forum?

spike

Old Indian
on the other hand you can post a picture on the forum but you can't build a Van der Graaf generator.
I can play pretty good rock sax but I can't figure out how to post an avatar and to be quite honest who gives a crap?

spike

Old Indian
Hi John,
if your post is directed in my direction then -
Please allow me to introduce myself
http://www.thesax.de
rock saxer, rock gardener, stargazer, wandering troubadour, expat-mancunian
rock on gruss spike

Hal the Elder

DEAR CHRIS and JONF:

it's not Van der Graaf
it's Van de Graaff

It was invented by University of Wisconsin Physicist Dr. Robert J. Van de Graaff in 1932.

The largest one ever built has a laboratory WITHIN the huge sphere at the top, but it's not dangerous to the scientists, because the sphere and everything within it is at the same potential...understand?

Therefore nobody notices that they're carrying an electrostatic charge of fifteen million volts!

Cheers,
HAL

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
I thought somebody might have mentioned David Jackson by now.

Hal the Elder

TARGA,

I'm sorry, but I have no knowledge of the person, however I could look him up on Google, which would then make this reply unnecessary!

HAL

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber

If I could do that, then I would never change my Avatar!

HAL
If you haven't got a web site of your own, use one of the free photo sharing ones, then post a link here.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Van der Graaf generators take me back to my school days. We were an unruly bunch and loved pushing the schoolmasters to the limit, or past it on occasions.

One school year we were rather shocked to find that the Headmaster was holding greek lessons in the classroom opposite - in the science block. Decidedly unsporting, we thought, especially as the physics master was one we could push a long, long way....

Fast forward a few weeks and it was static electricity/van der graaf generator time. After some prodding, one guy volunteered to go on it. Dire warnings about not letting go, not stepping off the insulated block and away we went. What a hoot, hair standing up and there was nearly a riot in the classroom. A couple of turns later and in walks the head.... He had more sense than I thought and didn't, as many of us were thinking/fearing, order the guy off the machine. But there were some very sharp comments made, and I dread to think what was said to our physics master afterwards.... But the physics master was a good sport and told us nothing about that one. We even had a whip around in class to buy him some beers one year..

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom