support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Autumn Leaves Jam of the Week #19

Micheal Murray

Hey everyone,
so basically I am starting to take part in the jotw group on facebook and posting up my recordings, and I thought I might as well post them up here to get everyones thoughts and criticisms on it. So without further ado, here is my solo saxophone attempt of autumn leaves, hope you enjoy and any tips and all that good stuff would be much appreciated!

Micheal

Thanks for posting Micheal, I did enjoy, a nice tone coming through :)

Jx

Last edited:
Very nice, Micheal (is that really how you spell it?)
It's one of my favourite tunes, and about the only one on which I can improv a bit.
I wish I had your tone and dexterity.

Hey guys thanks for all the replies really happy to hear you enjoyed it! And yeah definitely going to do the ballad this month for sure Chris. Cheers for the advice Colin, I'll keep it in mind when I play it again.

good tone and nice style but to make it (even) more interesting to listen to you could try to vary more in your basic note aproach.. the daaboodieboo if you understand... you do it from time to time for example at 3 min's in.. this could give it a more natural flow.

all in all, very good take, keep up the good work!

Very nice.

Before I start let me say this is much better than anything I could do, but if you're looking for things to work on...

While your tone is indeed beautiful the whole performance comes across a a bit "classical" to my ear. I'd like to hear more variety in the sound, for example some notes a bit smeared and some variation in the use of vibrato (eg wide slow vib but only towards the end of a note). Then, when the pure classical sound comes through, it will be all the more striking.

Just a thought and, once again, well done.

Last edited:
Koen and Martin, cheers guys for some solid advice, I definitely agree with what you are both saying. at the moment I am studying the great Prez, so I reckon he will give me a wealth of variety for all the stuff you guys are talking about and help make my playing more interesting.

Thanks Jamesmac, I appreciate it!

Very nice, Micheal (is that really how you spell it?)
It's one of my favourite tunes, and about the only one on which I can improv a bit.
I wish I had your tone and dexterity.

Oh forgot to say RobertB, yep my name is indeed spelt Micheal, I get called Michael all the time though, it was pretty tough on me when people did that in the beginning, but I've learned to cope with it and carry about my day.