All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Aurora saxes

Ballymenaboy

Subscriber
Just spotted in local nusic store a used alto saxophone in raw brass finish with excellent hard case.sax is in good condition and asking price is £200.anyone got an idea as to how good Aurira saxes are as I cant find out anything about them,?.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Right, it's bad news if on a websearch the name brand doesn't even pop up. There are so many brand names on cheap asian instruments these days.

I DID find "best sax players in Aurora, Colorado" as well as the fact that Phil-Tone has/had a mouthpiece model named the Aurora.....however !

Honestly, either way, 200 quid ...did you inquire as to whether it is in guaranteed playing condition ? It's a music shop, it should be. It doesn't seem a realistic pricetag for a horn which is being sold in good playing condition. Can you playtest it yourself ? If not, then the shop needs to give you some assurance, and back it up with a return policy.

Next...bare brass. Have you researched that ? Do you want a bare brass horn ? Upkeep and how they age can be significant issues.

If you are looking for a cheap Alto which is reliable, you may NOT find one for 200, IMHO get your budget up to 250 quid and look for a used instrument of a familiar brand. You will find a name-brand, reputed model for that price. Then the only thing you need do - if you cannot playtest in person, which you should if you can - is know the right questions to ask, and learn the things to look for in a used instrument ad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ballymenaboy

Subscriber
Right, it's bad news if on a websearch the name brand doesn't even pop up. There are so many brand names on cheap asian instruments these days.

I DID find "best sax players in Aurora, Colorado" as well as the fact that Phil-Tone has/had a mouthpiece model named the Aurora.....however !

Honestly, either way, 200 quid ...did you inquire as to whether it is in guaranteed playing condition ? It's a music shop, it should be. It doesn't seem a realistic pricetag for a horn which is being sold in good playing condition. Can you playtest it yourself ? If not, then the shop needs to give you some assurance, and back it up with a return policy.

Next...bare brass. Have you researched that ? Do you want a bare brass horn ? Upkeep and how they age can be significant issues.

If you are looking for a cheap Alto which is reliable, you may NOT find one for 200, IMHO get your budget up to 250 quid and look for a used instrument of a familiar brand. You will find a name-brand, reputed model for that price. Then the only thing you need do - if you cannot playtest in person, which you should if you can - is know the right questions to ask, and learn the things to look for in a used instrument ad.
Thanks for that it would be an impulse purchase as I play Hanson alto and tenor.going to give it a blow in next few days ..might be worth the low price if playing ok to roll over for a small profit.

Upvote 0

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Best of luck. You may or may not not be able to roll it over for a small profit, however...I mean, not unless you are OK with a 20 quid profit....no-name brand...asian cheapie....200 quid used when for 250 quid used one can find a name-brand....

Then again, if it does play up and down OK, maybe keep as a back-up....

Upvote 1

Ballymenaboy

Subscriber
Best of luck. You may or may not not be able to roll it over for a small profit, however...I mean, not unless you are OK with a 20 quid profit....no-name brand...asian cheapie....200 quid used when for 250 quid used one can find a name-brand....

Then again, if it does play up and down OK, maybe keep as a back-up....
Thanks again for your comments

Upvote 0

buddy lee

Yeah if your aim is to buy it and sell it for profit, perish the thought. No one (most likely) will pay big $ for a brand name no one has heard of... consider the fact that you're here now wondering what the heck the brand is and if it's any good. If you want a cheap horn to mess around with, maybe it would make sense, but you already said you have a Hanson alto so if it were me I wouldn't bother.

Upvote 0

Ballymenaboy

Subscriber
Yeah if your aim is to buy it and sell it for profit, perish the thought. No one (most likely) will pay big $ for a brand name no one has heard of... consider the fact that you're here now wondering what the heck the brand is and if it's any good. If you want a cheap horn to mess around with, maybe it would make sense, but you already said you have a Hanson alto so if it were me I wouldn't bother.
Thank you

Upvote 0
Top Bottom