All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

August BOTM - 'Emily'

c9off

With thanks to @Jeanette for hosting last month's Botm.

Having a shortlist of at least 6 contenders, it has been difficult selecting the final tune, so in the end my wife did from my not so short list - so hopefully you will enjoy this choice, she can then bask in the glory!

EMILY - composed by Johnny Mandell, with lyrics by Johnny Mercer was the title song for the 1964 film The Americanization of Emily. Many greats have covered it, including Sinatra (what didn't he cover?), but more interestingly for this thread, Paul Desmond, Stan Getz with Bill Evans, Al Cohn & Zoot Sims Quartet, plus many others, the following post will include links to these, plus others' when suggested..

The dots can be found in many books: New Real 3 page 117
Real Book 3 page 74
Jamey Aebersold vol 52
Hal Leonard vol 167
Movie Songs by Special Arrangement (Carl Strommen) Bb & Eb

@jbtsax has previously posted dots & backing based on Paul Desmond's version - and has kindly allowed me to link the thread here: http://cafesaxophone.com/threads/emily-tribute-to-paul-desmond.13447/

You can also download Bb & Eb sheets & backing from:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l5e4lqvd8cw1igi/AABG-FIVTP9Mg_P0xPgV2Q4ka?dl=0
These are 8 bar into, 2 chrorus plus 2 bar outro (not shown). Please excuse my feeble efforts, whilst having BIAB I have never used it!

I would recommend the Movie Songs books if you enjoy play alongs, a number of members' already have them I know.. ISBN: 0-7579-0782-2 & 0-7579-0783-0.

Hoping that you enjoy this month's tune, I look forward to hearing your interpretations, critique I will not, but appreciate I will!

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
Pretty toon. I don't suppose there is any chance of a transposition and backing track for Bb that gets off the palm keys and into a lower register nearer the Getz version? Just for us less adventurous people with no head for heights.

Last edited:

c9off

Pretty toon. I don't suppose there is any chance of a transposition and backing track for Bb that gets off the palm keys and into a lower register nearer the Getz version? Just for us less adventurous people with no head for heights.
yes of course, will send a PC shortly...

Colin the Bear

Desmond appears to be playing walz time in Eb. Stan has shifted it to Ab. Real book has it in Go_O

Frank is singing in B as far as I can make out and the last clip is in C for bass and doesn't it move to Eb for alto?

Last edited:

jimmylh

I must have a different version of the real books then the rest of you. I have three volumes and none list an Emily in them.

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
I've found a Wikifonia sheet in C which I can transpose up to A using Musescore. Just need a BT that fits my tenor if I play it using that. Isn't life complicated.

c9off

Additional Bb part (down 1 octave) just included on the main download page.

jbtsax

Subscriber
This is one of my all time favorite tunes. Geoff earlier had asked if I could help with this project. I finally came up with an accompaniment in BiaB that isn't too bad. The problem is that all of the "Real Style" jazz waltzes are at a fast temp and don't sound good at all when slowed down. Geoff gave me the go ahead to post these to give folks more options.

Emily in C for Eb instruments

Emily in F for Bb instruments

Emily slow waltz backing track

Paul Desmond's styling of the melody in the above recording

transcription of Paul Desmond's solo

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin the Bear

Man! You've come on leaps and bounds with this one. Just need to work on your tone and you're almost there.

Well done.

c9off

Great Mark, glad you enjoyed it & thanks for getting us started this month!

c9off

Two new backing tracks by @Chris have been added to the main dropbox files -

He says: both in 'C' both x2 choruses with x4 bar intro's. The piano and tempo are different on them.

Thanks Chris!

c9off

I can't say I'm comfortable with jazz waltzes at all. This was a challenge for me, Leblanc Rationale alto Selmer C** MP 3H Rico JS. Done in a single take.

Thanks for posting Al, one of the things that botm brings for me is an initial reaction of something different to what I would normally tackle, then quickly elevates itself into the go to piece - a prime example is @Colin the Bear selection!

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom