support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

(August 2016) Blues Key of the Month: Concert D [Major or Minor]

Here I go again......

DeadAudiolink Removed

Why do I have `Hotel California` verse in my head all the time?

Really enjoyed that, it brought to mind a tune at the beginning but not Hotel California, it'll come to me. Though I hear that later :)

Jx

Here I go again......

DeadAudiolink Removed

Why do I have `Hotel California` verse in my head all the time?

Wow, long time since I had the pleasure of listening to one of your pieces. Amazing progress, well done!

DeadAudiolink Removed

It's called Blues For Shavena in D.

I don't know my chops, or scales, so I cobbled it together in a sequencer. No effects.

I must learn those scales ....

I hope Shavena doesn't mind ...

Guenne instead of Lennie Niehaus plays the Blues and tries his Meyer and clones on his Super 20 :):

Theo Wanne NY Bros. 6 Rigotti 3med (awful)
Theo Wanne NY Bros. 6 Rigotti 3 strong
Phil Engleman refaced Stock Meyer 6 Rigotti 3med
Woodstone Traditional Jazz 6 Rigotti 3med

Have fun,
Guenne

Last edited by a moderator:
Guenne instead of Lennie Niehaus plays the Blues and tries his Meyer and clones on his Super 20 :):

Theo Wanne NY Bros. 6 Rigotti 3med (awful)
Theo Wanne NY Bros. 6 Rigotti 3 strong
Phil Engleman refaced Stock Meyer 6 Rigotti 3med
Woodstone Traditional Jazz 6 Rigotti 3med

Have fun,
Guenne
I don't know what the different equipment are that you are using, but they all sound great to me. I prefer the last one, Woodstone.

Last edited by a moderator:
DeadAudiolink Removed

It's called Blues For Shavena in D.

I don't know my chops, or scales, so I cobbled it together in a sequencer. No effects.

I must learn those scales ....

I hope Shavena doesn't mind ...
Is that the right link? Takes me to Emika remix, not very bluesy.

Never did a Blues in D concert before, so here are some new clips I just recorded with free YouTube backings. As usual fully improvised theme's and solo's. Used the backings this time to compare a metal 50's Otto Link Florida no USA 10* mouthpece and a HR 80's Otto Link Tone Edge 10* mouthpiece, together with two different reeds (Plasticover 2 and Rico Royal 2).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Compare two reeds on the same mouthpiece:

- 'Blues in D' - medium (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) shuffle blues style:
Blues in D - medium (FL no USA 10* - PL2) shuffle by mrpeebee

- 'Blues in D' - medium (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) swamp blues style:
Blues in D - medium (FL no USA 10* - RR2) swamp by mrpeebee
Compare two mouthpieces on the same reed:

- 'Blues in D' - medium (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) swamp blues style:
Blues in D - medium (FL no USA 10* - RR2) swamp by mrpeebee

- 'Blues in D' - medium (Tone Edge 10* - Rico Royal 2) jazz blues style:
Blues in D - medium (Tone Edge 10* - RR2) jazz by mrpeebee
As expected:
- the HR Tone Edge sounds darker compared to the metal Florida and
- the Rico Royal reed sounds darker compared to the Plasticover

I prefer the the Floirda / Plasticover combination.

Also did a recording with four reeds on the same mouthpiece, will post that one later this month.
I downloaded your shuffle .. gonna study it.

It's like when you fall asleep with the radio on and you think you're psychic because you knew about the earthquake before you heard the news:eek:

I woke up one morning with the riff from Billie Jean rattling round my head. Started playing it. Wow! Aren't I clever? Then I put on the radio and there it was. My first reaction was that I'd been robbed.:mad:

It's like when you fall asleep with the radio on and you think you're psychic because you knew about the earthquake before you heard the news:eek:

I woke up one morning with the riff from Billie Jean rattling round my head. Started playing it. Wow! Aren't I clever? Then I put on the radio and there it was. My first reaction was that I'd been robbed.:mad:

What's better is when you mis-remember it, and come up with something different. Then you can call it your own. This could be the basis of most compositions... :p

A clip from a Blues Jam is that ok to post? I went to a blues jam in november 2019. I sat down and started to talk with a guy which turned out to be a Dane living close to me. He is playing the piano and singing. A couple sitting at the table next to us joined the conversation. Also Danes. She is playing the guitar and he is playing the bass. The piano player and singer wanted us to play some songs together. All the guys in house band , except the drummer, could take a break. We played some blues songs. Here is a version of "Stomach Ache" (Junior Wells, Buddy Guy). Recorded on an Iphone (I removed the pictures, maybe some guys don't want to be on the clip?). No microphone available for me. So I had to blow a little bit harder. I play a solo and then just playing in the backgound. Lots of mistakes. Jams are great for learning and to meet other muscians. Just one "take". You must listen and watch. I'm playing a G4M tenor with a Rovner #8. My Martin tenor with #10 mouthpiece would probably cut through better.

Maybe this clip don't belong in "Blues Key of the Month", Concert C, tenorsax D ? YT and not Soundcloud?
View: https://youtu.be/qxAArMhjC4k