Tutorials

AUG SOTM Like Someone in Love

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
@jbtsax beat me in posting his BOTM. I’m privileged to host this months SOTM. I’ve chosen a song written in 1944 by Jimmy Van Heusen “ Like Someone in Love” .

It’s be done in a variety of styles from ballad to be bop. There are a great many recording out there, it is a little unusual in that its form is ABABC, but very simple harmonic structure so impro should not be too dificult.

The link for backings and dots etc is. HERE

I have a couple of favourite versions below

And of course one from him

Looking forward to your posts. Regards Al​

mrpeebee

I have two old recordings of that song from September 2017:

1. 'Like Somenone In Love' (Florida no USA 9 - La Voz medium):

2. 'Like Somenone In Love' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) - with strings:

Unfortunately (or happily for you!) I can't make new recordings anymore.

OP
U CAN CALL ME AL

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
Hi @Colin the Bear thanks for posting this one. As a lover of the harp coming from Wales I cannot decide whether I like this or not. I’ve listened to this several times and the little girl voice and sophistication of the harp do not sit comfortably side by side in my mind. Perhaps it is the coyness of a 28 yr old on the 1993 album’Debut’ pretending to be a little girl that unsettles me? I don’t know.

rhysonsax

I liked the recordings that Harry Allen did of this tune with Rossano Sportiello, both that video above and on an album called "Conversations" which was devoted to songs with lyrics by Johnny Burke. That album recording is in concert C and includes the 16 bar verse (or introduction) with lyrics starting "This change I feel puzzles me" leading in to the usual 32 bar tune that people are most familiar with.

I made a BiaB backing track with just a RealTrack piano and a bass player:
Like Someone In Love - Rhys tenor V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

OP
U CAN CALL ME AL

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
Hi @rhysonsax and thank you for posting. You’ve just made my day, at least I’ve had one members recording posted on the thread.
Liked the backing a lot, carefree swing, your playing was well suited to it and moved along nicely. A bit of an afternoon tea room in pleasant company feel.

Regards and many thanks Al

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Congrats, Rhys, I really enjoyed it. I'm sure you picked up on this yourself but I noticed that after the intro (first 30s) you sounded much more at ease, more confident and more flexible (tone, timing). After 30s there was a more regular (predicable) neat. If there's anything left to work on, I could only point to the first 30s which sounded (by comparison) more hesitant. Easy to say when I've not attempted it ;)

Mike

I liked the recordings that Harry Allen did of this tune with Rossano Sportiello, both that video above and on an album called "Conversations" which was devoted to songs with lyrics by Johnny Burke. That album recording is in concert C and includes the 16 bar verse (or introduction) with lyrics starting "This change I feel puzzles me" leading in to the usual 32 bar tune that people are most familiar with.

I made a BiaB backing track with just a RealTrack piano and a bass player:
Like Someone In Love - Rhys tenor V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

rhysonsax

Congrats, Rhys, I really enjoyed it. I'm sure you picked up on this yourself but I noticed that after the intro (first 30s) you sounded much more at ease, more confident and more flexible (tone, timing). After 30s there was a more regular (predicable) neat. If there's anything left to work on, I could only point to the first 30s which sounded (by comparison) more hesitant. Easy to say when I've not attempted it ;)

Mike
Hi Mike,

I was going for a sort of rubato feel on the introduction, but the way I had programmed the BiaB piano in the section may have done more harm than good !

How's this with my on my own until the A section starts (same recording but the piano player eliminated until he goes into the stride thing) ?

Rhys

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Hi Rhys, I'm hesitant to comment 'cos I don't know all that much much about this kind of stuff. My only experience is only in Big Bands. In 'rubato' my experience is that he whole band slows down (in your case solo +rhythm) and waits for direction; There are many more cases where 'a soloist (usually a vocalist) plays with their timing' (early/late) while still keeping up with the beat.

Rubato is great. Alternatively you could consider a (free) solo in synch with a Rubutao start.

Hi Mike,

I was going for a sort of rubato feel on the introduction, but the way I had programmed the BiaB piano in the section may have done more harm than good !

How's this with my on my own until the A section starts (same recording but the piano player eliminated until he goes into the stride thing) ?

Rhys

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Hi Mike,

Rhys
Personally I think the version without the piano works better than the version with piano.

Top Bottom