Tutorials

ATCL/dipABRSM exam...

robert1960

Hi,

I am considering taking the ATCL diploma in jazz saxophone. I can't give any advice though. I am still at the stage of choosing the pieces I want to play.

Robert

robert1960

Hi saxophonedaniel,

I'm hoping you can. You do have the option of choosing all of your own pieces if you want. Provided they are acceptable to Trinity you can take the exam. I have it on the authority of a Trinity examiner that you can do a jazz based diploma.

Robert

OP
S

saxophonedaniel

please after you choose your jazz pieces, please do share with us.

As for me, I will chosse the pieces based on their written list. I guess it is easier for me, as I don't need to get any authority to pre-approve.

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
please after you choose your jazz pieces, please do share with us.

As for me, I will chosse the pieces based on their written list. I guess it is easier for me, as I don't need to get any authority to pre-approve.
Are you taking the ABRSM diploma Daniel? What pieces have you selected? One of the Associated Board Hong Kong examiners was a tutor of mine - a fantastic musicologist called Dr Sarah Boyer. If you get her she is lovely.
Good luck

OP
S

saxophonedaniel

Hi,

I will take ATCL (not ABRSM)....

The songs I selected are:
1. Histories from (Ibert)
2. Alla Gitana (Dukas)
3. Telemann (sonata)
4. Tango (Piazzolla)

robert1960

Hi Saxophonedaniel,

I've submitted for approval:

Now's The Time
Corcovado
Chelsea Bridge
One Day My Prince Will Come
Good Bait
Caravan.

Robert

robert1960

Yes. All accepted. I am now having some private lessons to get me up to speed. My tutor says he expects it to take about a year. I don't mind as I have not had any lessons for about 13 years. Part of the idea of taking the diploma was to try to improve my playing. The pieces are valid for five years. I hope I don't take that long to reach the standard.

Robert

OP
S

saxophonedaniel

Yes. All accepted. I am now having some private lessons to get me up to speed. My tutor says he expects it to take about a year. I don't mind as I have not had any lessons for about 13 years. Part of the idea of taking the diploma was to try to improve my playing. The pieces are valid for five years. I hope I don't take that long to reach the standard.

Robert
Hi,

My understanding is that the approval is for the whole list, i.e., you cannot add/remove/change any songs of the list. Am I right?

Also, is that approval only limited to you?

robert1960

My understanding is that the approval is for the whole list. If I wanted to change anything I would have to go through the approval process again. If anyone else wanted to use the same pieces, I assume that they would still have to go through the approval process.

OP
S

saxophonedaniel

My understanding is that the approval is for the whole list. If I wanted to change anything I would have to go through the approval process again. If anyone else wanted to use the same pieces, I assume that they would still have to go through the approval process.
thanks for you info, it is very useful.
I want to get approval for my own list. could you tell me more info of the approval procedure. So, that I can follow step by step. where to write to, whom to write to......

robert1960

I will. I felt it went quite well and I played as well as I could under the exam conditions. So, even if I fail, I think I did my best.

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom