All profit supporting   special needs music

As Time Goes By - BOTM September 2020

Mark Hancock

Mark Hancock

Café Supporter
Locality
Zurich
Nah, it puts your playing in perspective! Go with it! (Ignore number of views, watch instead thumbs down. Coltrane always gets plenty. You have none.
I'd love to go with that Randy, but I think the internet is not really a kind place. I'll get torn to pieces out there!!! :eek:

I'd love to go with that Randy, but I think the internet is not really a kind place. I'll get torn to pieces out there!!! :eek:
All kidding aside, Mark, this is why it's actually a wise move to do video. If someone looks up a song, they'll see your version, eventually. It may be artificially boosted buy the fact that I'd already seen it, but I'd wager it's still a good thing that you do that. I always enjoy watching you get ready to play, too!

rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
Through iTunes I found some jazz standard backing tracks with example solos by a sax player called Piercarlo Salvia. They come from albums with titles such as "Real Book Jazz Sax and Guitar Lesson", but even after searching far and wide I haven't found any "lesson" - just recorded solos and backing tracks.

For this one I transcribed all three choruses of the example tenor playing and then recorded it on tenor. A friend with a MkVI was recently raving about his RAW tenor, so I played this on my Andy Sheppard Signature tenor (based on the RAW):

As Time Goes By - Rhys tenor V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

PS If anyone would like to have a copy of my transcription, just ask.

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Through iTunes I found some jazz standard backing tracks with example solos by a sax player called Piercarlo Salvia. They come from albums with titles such as "Real Book Jazz Sax and Guitar Lesson", but even after searching far and wide I haven't found any "lesson" - just recorded solos and backing tracks.

For this one I transcribed all three choruses of the example tenor playing and then recorded it on tenor. A friend with a MkVI was recently raving about his RAW tenor, so I played this on my Andy Sheppard Signature tenor (based on the RAW):

As Time Goes By - Rhys tenor V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

PS If anyone would like to have a copy of my transcription, just ask.

That was excellent - many thanks.
What city is your Andy Sheppard Tenor?

rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
That was excellent - many thanks.
What city is your Andy Sheppard Tenor?

It's Newcastle.

I bought it used from a member of this forum who bought it used from a member of this forum who danced with the Prince of Wales.

Rhys

Jmoen3

Jmoen3

Locality
Colorado
Well, as a younger jazz lover, I'm sad to say I know this song - but not from a normal source. Here is 'Family Guy's and Seth McFarlane's take that introduced me to this beautiful song. I hope to add a take soon :)

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Here's my stab on alto. I'm thinking I may do another take on this one with some more practice, since I love this song :D

A smoky late-night version. Very nice. :thumb:
More takes are always welcome.

Jmoen3

Jmoen3

Locality
Colorado
A smoky late-night version. Very nice. :thumb:
More takes are always welcome.

Thanks Nigel! Lovely song choice. I'll be sure to get a little more creative on the next take!

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Hi,

sorry, backing track has some clipping...and I had to do some serious eq-ing, as there's so much low frequencies.
But testing my new ebay-treasure (Morgan Fry Hollywood 7*) is fun :)

Cheers, Guenne

Superb playing, as always. The mouthpiece sounds great.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom