All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Artistic Engraving Sherry Huntley

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Kudos to Sherry Huntley, one of the best re-engravers in the business. I sent her the bell section of a low Bb Mark VI bari sax that I am restoring for a local music store, and she just sent these pictures. Her prices are reasonable as well. It cost about $140 to do this sax bell, not including shipping. The sax has a brushed satin finish that has been given a coating of Renaissance Wax.

griff136

Locality
I live in Exmouth Devon.
A true Artisan. I read somewhere that she learned her craft working at the Conn factory.

I wish I could do that.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Locality
Rugby UK
Beautiful work! It'll be a privilege to play!

saxismyaxe

Honored SOTW Ambassador
Locality
Native of the Lone Star state.
Nicely done. Much more flowing and natural than much of what one sees these days in instrument engraving.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
@jbtsax - I used Renaissance Wax on my delacquered and polished Grassi Pro 2000 tenor but it didn't stop it tarnishing as I'd hoped it would bearing in mind the British Museum use it for protecting ancient artefacts.

Are you worried the same may happen and the engraving may discolour, or might that just add to the look?

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
In my experience all Renaissance wax does on a brass finish is to make it less likely to show fingerprints. As a protective coating it is not effective at all. The photo below shows the same Mark VI bari in 2018 about five years after the photo of the engraving above. As you can see the brass develops a patina that is more or less even over the entire finish. Whether someone likes or dislikes that look is an individual choice. Who knows what it will look like in another five to ten years?

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
That's beautiful, but so conservative!

That's a skill I might try to aquire over the next few years to bring something new along the flowery theme... I have a couple of artists in my family that would do great things if they had the skills. My older brother would bring various sea related ones and my son would do Manga specials. Like this:

Which is probably not everyone's cup of tea!

But I'm sure you get my point...

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
That's beautiful, but so conservative!

That's a skill I might try to aquire over the next few years to bring something new along the flowery theme... I have a couple of artists in my family that would do great things if they had the skills. My older brother would bring various sea related ones and my son would do Manga specials. Like this:
View attachment 13062
Which is probably not everyone's cup of tea!

But I'm sure you get my point...

I too struggle with the petrol pump nozzle sometimes, but have never tried to get it in my ear? :doh:

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Cannonball has gone al out and hired and trained a team of customer engravers to give their instruments a unique appearance.
Cannonball Engraving Clicking on some of the sketches will show how the design looks engraved on a saxophone.

If anyone has any questions I'm sure Cafe member @RyanCannonball would be willing to help.

Locality
Sandy, Utah, USA
Cannonball has gone al out and hired and trained a team of customer engravers to give their instruments a unique appearance.
Cannonball Engraving Clicking on some of the sketches will show how the design looks engraved on a saxophone.

If anyone has any questions I'm sure Cafe member @RyanCannonball would be willing to help.

Interesting thread revival from 2013! Sherry is a one-of-a-kind artisan who did beautiful re-engraving work. I brought her here to Cannonball to spend a few days training our team of engravers just before she retired. Each engraver has his/her own personality and methods, which you can see combined to different extents with Sherry's traditional style in the link @jbtsax posted above.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom