support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

April 2018 SOTM: Petite Fleure

chadders

Ok, here goes...

I have volunteered to host April's SOTM & my choice of song is Petite Fleure written by Sidney Bechet.

Here are a couple of versions to enjoy...

Hopefully, you will find the sheet music and Mp3 here --> Music & mp3

I have included Bflat, Eflat and Eflat high, ( transposed up an octave) - The range is good on a Bflat instrument but on an Eflat instrument its either very low ( which sounds lovely!) or very high so there is a choice.

The music is written to repeat and take you twice through so I have mirrored this on the audio file. - there's a two bar introduction as the song has a 2 beat pick up.

Backing track is created via I-real pro - Really stunning program !!!

Good luck and enjoy

I will post my effort at some point... Honest!

Cheers
Paul

Nice pick. It fits nice on Sop and clarinet. Well... it would wouldn't it. Monty Sunshine played clarinet in the Chris Barber band. It fits, just, in the normal alto range. I heard Monty's version first and it influenced me greatly. I love Bechet's version but like so many of his recordings, I can't play like that. I use this as one of my warm up pieces for clarinet. There's a nice little run that you can use alternative fingerings for, which helps wake up the saxophone fingers to the clarinet. I have a recording I did ages ago somewhere that I may post before doing another version.

Nice pick. It fits nice on Sop and clarinet. Well... it would wouldn't it. Monty Sunshine played clarinet in the Chris Barber band. It fits, just, in the normal alto range. I heard Monty's version first and it influenced me greatly. I love Bechet's version but like so many of his recordings, I can't play like that. I use this as one of my warm up pieces for clarinet. There's a nice little run that you can use alternative fingerings for, which helps wake up the saxophone fingers to the clarinet. I have a recording I did ages ago somewhere that I may post before doing another version.

My brother used to have a reel to reel tape recorder and recorded my dad teaching me nursery rhymes circa 1962 ( when I was 3 or 4 ) which was coincidentally prefixed with the chris barber version of Petite fleure, so I got to know it very well by playing back the tape so many times. I will always associate the two things together - When my brother was recording the song ( by holding a mic close to a record player - hi tech in them days) I was busy putting my hand on the reels as they span around which created a wonderful & severe wah and slip when the tape was played back - I will try my best not to emulate that in my recording... haha

That's good U!

I am so envious of you people that can just record a tune so quickly it takes me weeks :) Nice one @U CAN CALL ME AL

Jx

I know what you mean @Jeanette. I spent an hour and a half playing just that on tenor, soprano, baritone and Alto, but I didn't feel ready for a recording. Even a limited one with just the theme.

But next time, I'll set my recording gear and try to record as much as I can, if only to listen to myself and hate what I did! :w00t:

I'm sure I'll learn from it.

NB: it's actually a good thing to have the Eb part high and low. Makes a good test for reeds/mouthpieces. :D

@saxyjt I had played this before. It is not a tune in my repertoire but one I am happy to play from the dots, with a few noodles on the side. I frequently leave a recording running with a backing on loop, occasionally a perfect take will happen. Never hate your own playing but learn from it. Negativity is not good for one's Karma. I often record my practice and listen critically afterwards, it lets me see weaknesses needing more practice and occasionally I might invent a catchy noodle or lick/idea which would otherwise be lost without a record of things.
Regards Al

Negativity is not good for one's Karma.

You're so right! And I'm not the negative type. I just had a frustrating news and it must have influenced my mood inadvertently. I'm already over it and back in fighting mode.

The weather is looking good for the week-end, so we should feel like spring time is finally there. :cool: We're going to break into the 20° for the first time this year. Cool! Hot! Nice! Well, you see what I mean... :w00t:

I'm considering inviting some sax mates to play the Kanees when interested them and I'll suggest we try to play a trio on Petite Fleur! Easy enough to do it out of the blue. But if someone has an arrangement for a trio. Either SAT or ATB. That would be grand! :sax:

@Francisco , @U CAN CALL ME AL and @rhysonsax , really loved all of your recordings! Thanks for sharing. I'm giving this a go right now. Fighting a cold, but I still practice. Just worked on this song on my alto, now giving it a shot on soprano, because, you know, Bechet. I may post something from both horns before the end of the month. If you think I'm bad on alto, you should hear me on soprano. :)

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom