All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

approximate any line by its ups and downs

seerskater

tell me what you guys think about this approach

listen to a line, and instead of caring about the exact notes, just care about the intervals of up and down within the line. for instance, if you heard someone play a ^ c ^ e ^ g , f#, you could approximate it with any combination of (note) up (note) up (note) up (note) down and between the third note and fourth note (note).

i find it helpful to use this approach to imbed players' ideas in my arsenal when im too lazy to actually get the actual notes :/

but also it can be helpful in a jam session when you want to respond to someones idea but dont know the notes they played. does anyone else use this approach?

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
tell me what you guys think about this approach

listen to a line, and instead of caring about the exact notes, just care about the intervals of up and down within the line. for instance, if you heard someone play a ^ c ^ e ^ g , f#, you could approximate it with any combination of (note) up (note) up (note) up (note) down and between the third note and fourth note (note).

i find it helpful to use this approach to imbed players' ideas in my arsenal when im too lazy to actually get the actual notes :/

but also it can be helpful in a jam session when you want to respond to someones idea but dont know the notes they played. does anyone else use this approach?
I hope you're not a commercial airline pilot making approaches this way.

Hear a line, play a line. Make your playing intentional whether copying what you’ve heard, playing a countermelody, or counterpoint. Not knowing the notes you are about to play and making this a method of playing is not (in my opinion) a way to advance as a musician.

Colin the Bear

Call and answer? If you're responding to something that's just been played and you miss a note then it's up to you to find another way that works. Sometimes I just blow and then try to resolve what I hear. My fingers more often than not know better than my head. A chromatic run can get you out of trouble.

To answer a c e g f# I would want to play e g b d c depending on the key of course. It's all very subjective.

seerskater

lol yeah chromatic runs are like the bandaids of failed harmony. most of the time i only think in terms of chromaticism when im doing this approach. occasionally there will be a triad or two or maybe a 7th. i feel like this "topic" had a confusing first post

old git

Tremendous Bore
That was how the first notation systems worked, according to Howard Goodall anyway.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom