All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Anyone using an Allora brand Saxophone? Trying to buy a Allora Intermediate soprano.

jonf

Re: Anyone using an Allora brand Saxophone? Trying to buy a Allora Intermediate sopra

But isn't the name now used as a marketing identity for some pretty generic looking far Eastern saxes sold, in the US by WWBW among others? Look OK, reasonably well reviewed but there seems to be little to mark them out from all the other inexpensive saxes out there.

But hey, aren't we forunate these days? There are just so many perfectly playable cheap saxes available now. When I first started playing, student saxes were pretty expensive and pretty poor. Now they're dirt cheap and pretty good.

chipsterchops

Re: Anyone using an Allora brand Saxophone? Trying to buy a Allora Intermediate sopra

Yeah.. pretty fortunate.. I played a barrington and now a kohlert... both cheap ones... they both served me well... So I should buy it yeah?? let see how it goes with it...

thomsax

But isn't the name now used as a marketing identity for some pretty generic looking far Eastern saxes sold, in the US by WWBW among others? Look OK, reasonably well reviewed but there seems to be little to mark them out from all the other inexpensive saxes out there.

But hey, aren't we forunate these days? There are just so many perfectly playable cheap saxes available now. When I first started playing, student saxes were pretty expensive and pretty poor. Now they're dirt cheap and pretty good.
Yes, I think the Allora saxes I've seen were bought at WWBW and they were made in Germany. It's around ten years ago and B&S is gone so I guess if the brand is still on the market the saxes are made in Asia.

Saxes nowadays are far better compared to the saxes I started on. Nothing wrong with a Chinese sax, but I try to have some balance. I try to buy electronics, musical instrumnets, clothes .... that are made in Europe. Even if it's hard and I have to pay more as well. But we shouldn't talk politics here.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber

...I try to buy electronics, musical instrumnets, clothes .... that are made in Europe. Even if it's hard and I have to pay more as well. But we shouldn't talk politics here.
That's not politics - here - as long as you keep to the economics. But it could easily drift.

milandro

B&S ( B&S group) still exists http://www.b-and-s.com/ they just ceased producing saxophones themselves. The brand belonged , until not so long ago, to the SML group which has been recently sold and turned into many different companies.

After B&S ceased the saxophones production (and con concentrated ONLY with the production of brass instruments) the SML group did sell a student line of saxophones (branded B&S) which were Chinese made.

Last edited by a moderator:

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
I have the very cheapest Allora alto saxophone from Music123, which I bought online and without knowing anything about saxophones. It is the only saxophone I have er owned and played, but for what it's worth, I am very happy with it. It seems to have a good tone, the intonation is pretty much spot on according to my electronic tuner, and the price was ridiculously cheap. It might be that I was lucky and got a good one, or that I am too inexperienced to judge properly, but I am impressed with mine.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure mine was made in China, so anything thinking of getting one can use that information as they will.

chipsterchops

I got my sax and was not happy with it!!! So it's still in the case... But I will try to check it much more extensively and give a good feedback.. The problem is .. I have tried it only once or twice.. Hoping to try it this week.. or maybe next... been extremely busy with gigs... got a lil bit free now :)

milandro

well, now you have your saxophone.

Did you have the chance to try it before buying it? If you did why were you happy enough to buy it and why aren’t you happy now?

Can you return it? If you aren’t happy and the shop has a return policy you definitely should.

AS said before the brandname alone means very little these days because the Allora brand could have never been registered or their registration could have not being maintained by the B&S brand (which no longer produces saxophones!).

Therefore you have, in all probability, bought a Chinese saxophone with this particular name like the one sold here

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/woodwinds/allora-aass-301-series-student-soprano-saxophone

If that is the case you have some protection and a return policy. If you are not happy definitely return.

Buying a cheap soprano is always a difficult thing. Even if intonation would be satisfactory the mechanics of the soprano are, often, complex to the point that it is almost guaranteed that a cheap one will be needing some attention.

Some technicians are able, at a price, to improve these cheap sopranos and bring them at par with some decent instruments but the cost of their expertise often equals the cost difference that you would have paid to buy a good soprano anyway.

That is why I often recommend to buy a relatively cheap, secondhand , robust soprano like a Yamaha 475. Which is a simple workhorse difficult to match in its robust simplicity but even then , you pay a minimum of two to 3 times as much the price mentioned above.

Rogerb

Looking at the photos, the altos at least look remarkably(or perhaps not so remarkably?) similar to Bauhaus Walsteins, so I guess they come off the same 'production line' and are just re-badged!
Properly set-up, they'll probably also sound much the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

milandro

there are many Chinese saxophones which look the same but are not the same even when they are made from the same factory (which is often inferred when it comes to BW) and often things that look the same are, after a closer examination.......different

Rogerb

there are many Chinese saxophones which look the same but are not the same even when they are made from the same factory (which is often inferred when it comes to BW) and often things that look the same are, after a closer examination.......different
I understand that, Milandro, and one can never be sure about these matters. As always, the proof of the pudding is in the eating(playing)!

However, I have compared the Allora Boss 2 pictures with my BW and can only find one difference. a slightly different-shaped key about level with the top edge of the bell. All other details appear identical, although I cannot see if it has ceramic resonators(as mine does, and the Boss 2's copper body has a matt finish, while mine is shiny (lacquered). see below:
BWAlt.jpg BWAlto.jpg

chipsterchops

well, now you have your saxophone.

Did you have the chance to try it before buying it? If you did why were you happy enough to buy it and why aren’t you happy now?

Can you return it? If you aren’t happy and the shop has a return policy you definitely should.

AS said before the brandname alone means very little these days because the Allora brand could have never been registered or their registration could have not being maintained by the B&S brand (which no longer produces saxophones!).

Therefore you have, in all probability, bought a Chinese saxophone with this particular name like the one sold here

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/woodwinds/allora-aass-301-series-student-soprano-saxophone

If that is the case you have some protection and a return policy. If you are not happy definitely return.

Buying a cheap soprano is always a difficult thing. Even if intonation would be satisfactory the mechanics of the soprano are, often, complex to the point that it is almost guaranteed that a cheap one will be needing some attention.

Some technicians are able, at a price, to improve these cheap sopranos and bring them at par with some decent instruments but the cost of their expertise often equals the cost difference that you would have paid to buy a good soprano anyway.

That is why I often recommend to buy a relatively cheap, secondhand , robust soprano like a Yamaha 475. Which is a simple workhorse difficult to match in its robust simplicity but even then , you pay a minimum of two to 3 times as much the price mentioned above.
Sorry I'm late again,
I didn't have the chance to try it beforehand coz I bought it online and I have to choose a forwarding agent to forward to my country, Also returning would cost a lot too.. So it was sort of rolling the dice to see if it works. I played a couple of times.. to me it was ok.. but I don't like it that much.. I still play with my old soprano.. But if it breaks completely .. I would use the new one.. It's not unplayable.. Maybe I would record the two sax's separately and post it when I have some time.. But for those who are planning to buy this sax.. in my opinion.. I wouldn't recommend this saxophone.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom