All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Anyone seen....?

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
...a late model (top F# key) Selmer MKVI Tenor that has lain under a bed for forty years, original pads, plays nicely and is finished in immaculate silver keywork and bell with a body enamelled in lurid pink?

I have

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I saw a mint condition BLACK enamelled SA80 from the factory with gold lacquered keywork - it looked like a tacky cheap Chinese knockoff and it was a real Selmer ...

I laughed and thought if Selmer did that now with the series 3 or Ref54 it could be classed as a copy of a Jollysun - same for the lurid pink

David Roach

Locality
London
I had a Mk6 alto in 'Gunmetal Blue' in 1978; I had it re-lacquered because it look terrible with the blue chipping off. Great horn though....

Laurie Connie (RIP) told me it was something Selmer did for a while to try to encourage bands to buy sets in the same colour (this was the 60s I guess!).

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Here is a picture of one that is in the Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) in Phoenix, AZ. It is not a closet horn, but it does already know how to play the "Pink Panther".

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
These coloured Selmers are pretty rare and seem to command a premium from collectors.

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
Aussie sax man Joe Camilleri plays one...

and here with Iva Davies and Icehouse...

One of my favourite Aussies...along with James Morrison...

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Greg S.

Last edited:

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
Yes same pink

That geezer makes it look cool

Must be the white suit...:rofl:

On a serious note...F# (?)...;)

There is a great documentary around about Joe and his over 45 years in the Aussie music industry called "Australia's Maltese Falcon" the title is a bit of a play on words as Joe had a band in the late 1970s and early 1980s called "Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons" and he was actually born in Malta - his family immigrated to Melbourne when Jo was about 2 years old...

Joe is one cool geezer...

Greg S.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Here is a picture of one that is in the Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) in Phoenix, AZ. It is not a closet horn, but it does already know how to play the "Pink Panther".

Finally got onto a computer that allows me to see this pic jbtsax.... yes that's exactly the one except the one I saw had a pick-up point installed on the crook just behind the cork

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
A.C Reed was blowing a pink tenor as well with a pick-up mic on the neck. I think it's aSelmer. Useful neck. Hair dryer, pipe ..... . A.C Reed, J.T. Brown and Eddie Shaw are/were all playing in the Chicago blues style.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Different pink... therefore different tone

Honest

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York