support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Anyone playing Springsteens songs?

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I often wonder why I don't hear more bands playing Bruce Springsteen songs? Over the years I've just played one song; "Ramrod". The guitarist that use to come and play with us played some. But otherwise it became silent when I suggested "Sherry Darling", "Cadillac Ranch", "Teenth Avenue Freeze Out", "Pink Cadillac", "From Small Things .... " ....... .

Here is a UK band, Rehab Blues" playing "Blinded By The Light". I think the saxplayer is a CS member. BTW fine Martin Comm II tenor !!
View: https://youtu.be/S2N82YUrTwY

Here is a version of "Ramrod" by Max Weinberg & Co. It's not easy to play the "easy" Clarence Clemons solos. Sometimes it takes two players? It looks like Mindi Abair and Tom Saviano are blowing the 24 bar saxsolo in unison?
View: https://youtu.be/p0df2zTviqI

Good question and you're so right. Other than the band Bootlegboss.net I can't recall hearing many covers. I think Springsteen has such a unique way of engaging live audiences that must be hard to mimic. It would be quite a task to put your own spin on an arrangement.

Cover Me was a regular for my band, in the past. It went down really well. We tried Dancing In The Dark, but it didn't work for us. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town went down well (at a certain time of Year) We bought that in when I started playing Sax. I think it's safe to say Clarence might have turned in his grave when I attempted the solo...

The Cowboy Junkies used to encore with a gorgeous version of Thunder Road (pretty much everything about the Cowboy Junkies is rather gorgeous). Actually they did State Trooper once when I saw them too. Mudlow, my old band, used to do State Trooper in sound checks but I don't seem to remember ever gigging it.
Rage Against the Machine covered Ghost of Tom Joad...

One of my old bands used to play "Dancing In The Dark" when it was popular. Really liked it but no one danced to it so we replaced it with a song that got the people on the dance floor. We gave it several trys.

Good question and you're so right. Other than the band Bootlegboss.net I can't recall hearing many covers. I think Springsteen has such a unique way of engaging live audiences that must be hard to mimic. It would be quite a task to put your own spin on an arrangement.
Yes, I also think thats the reason. But you don't have to play songs like "The River, Wreck on the Highway", or songs from Nebraska album .... . More classic rocksongs with a steady rock beat. Play and use them. In the garage, pub or woodshed ... it's great music.

Cover Me was a regular for my band, in the past. It went down really well. We tried Dancing In The Dark, but it didn't work for us. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town went down well (at a certain time of Year) We bought that in when I started playing Sax. I think it's safe to say Clarence might have turned in his grave when I attempted the solo...
I think Clarece would enjoy your attemps. We also played "Cover Me" back in the 80's.

Interesting over shoulder sax sling in the Letterman vid. the hook attaches to the horn way above the LH octave key thumb.
At the end he slings the horn round his back. Goar wot, Nevah seen dat befoah.

Interesting over shoulder sax sling in the Letterman vid. the hook attaches to the horn way above the LH octave key thumb.
I've only ever seen it used by this chap! Looks a bit higher up than Clarence's

1608218286155.png

That's Angelo Moore from Fishbone... If you've ever seen just how animated he is on stage you'd understand why he's set up like that

Yes, I have. Many Years ago. We've discussed before :p

Looks like it could be a guitar strap style with the other end attached (out of sight) lower down on the sax under the right arm

At least, that's how I would expect him to be able to swivel it upside down under that arm