• Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Anyone parting with a curved soprano?

Thanks for all the helpful and friendly comments. (BTW this forum seems much more 'neighbourly' than SOTW!)
Hope I don't have to wait too long for my Packer. Patience is not one of my many virtues. :)
Wonder if my soprano mouthpiece will sound good on it. It's a metal Runyon Quantum 6 (with Rovner dark lig). We shall see....

If you fancy hearing a current curvie soprano player do familiarise yourself with the Portico Quartet - and player Jack Wyllie, who looks like the son of the "Coast" presenter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7prKXfvWD3w&feature=related

They have done 3 excellent CDs and are well worth seeing live.

He does look like the Coast guy (without the rolled umbrella) but is rather less annoying! :shocked: Good player though and coaxes a nice sound from his curvie.

Good advice, thanks. However, I've taken the plunge already! I've ordered a Packer curved and my Selmer is now for sale on eBay. I already have a couple of good mouthpieces, so I'll let you know how I get on.

Thought it was time I followed this up. I've had my Packer curved soprano for a little while now. Haven't played it a lot (have been shaking off a flu-type virus) but am really pleased with it. The quality is amazing and I find it much more playable than the Selmer SA80 (which I've sold). Also, the Packer has a mcuh nicer sound (to my ears anyway), being less oboe-like than the Selmer (nothing against oboes, just want my soprano to sound like a saxophone!) though I haven't quite tamed the upper register yet. I've also bought (from Packers, who had it on offer) a Brancher J15 mouthpiece, which works well with the curvy. All in all, though I need to work on intonation on the higher end, I'm one very happy bunny (or aardvark)... :thumb:

When I first got my BW Curvy I used to play the same Brancher mouthpiece - very good choice. I only sold it when I got my current mouthpiece. Glad you like the Packer - very good instrument from what I've read. The upper end is a challenge intonation wise; partly that will be because you won't have enough experience of playing those notes at the same time as adjusting to the instrument as minore embouchure differences are more major on soprano compared to other saxes. I can't remember the last time that happened to me in any obvious way.

Kind regards
Tom

When I first got my BW Curvy I used to play the same Brancher mouthpiece - very good choice. I only sold it when I got my current mouthpiece. Glad you like the Packer - very good instrument from what I've read. The upper end is a challenge intonation wise; partly that will be because you won't have enough experience of playing those notes at the same time as adjusting to the instrument as minore embouchure differences are more major on soprano compared to other saxes. I can't remember the last time that happened to me in any obvious way.

Kind regards
Tom

Thanks Tom, that's very encouraging. I shall persevere! :)