support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Anyone out there know or use joomla! 1.5x?

To be honest so did i. What is a joomla 1.5x anyway?

What is joomla!?

"Joomla is an award-winning content management system (CMS), which enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease-of-use and extensibility, have made Joomla the most popular Web site software available. Best of all, Joomla is an open source solution that is freely available to everyone.

If you're new to Web publishing systems, you'll find that Joomla! delivers sophisticated solutions to your online needs. It can deliver a robust enterprise-level Web site, empowered by endless extensibility for your bespoke publishing needs. Moreover, it is often the system of choice for small business or home users who want a professional looking site that's simple to deploy and use. We do content right.

So what's the catch? How much does this system cost?

Well, there's good news ... and more good news! Joomla! 1.5 is free, it is released under an Open Source license - the GNU/General Public License v 2.0. Had you invested in a mainstream, commercial alternative, there'd be nothing but moths left in your wallet and to add new functionality would probably mean taking out a second mortgage each time you wanted something adding!
Joomla! changes all that …

Joomla! is different from the normal models for content management software. For a start, it's not complicated. Joomla! has been developed for everybody, and anybody can develop it further. It is designed to work (primarily) with other Open Source, free, software such as PHP, MySQL, and Apache. It is easy to install and administer, and is reliable."

Sound great, i'll check that out.
What is joomla!?

"Joomla is an award-winning content management system (CMS), which enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease-of-use and extensibility, have made Joomla the most popular Web site software available. Best of all, Joomla is an open source solution that is freely available to everyone.

If you're new to Web publishing systems, you'll find that Joomla! delivers sophisticated solutions to your online needs. It can deliver a robust enterprise-level Web site, empowered by endless extensibility for your bespoke publishing needs. Moreover, it is often the system of choice for small business or home users who want a professional looking site that's simple to deploy and use. We do content right.

So what's the catch? How much does this system cost?

Well, there's good news ... and more good news! Joomla! 1.5 is free, it is released under an Open Source license - the GNU/General Public License v 2.0. Had you invested in a mainstream, commercial alternative, there'd be nothing but moths left in your wallet and to add new functionality would probably mean taking out a second mortgage each time you wanted something adding!
Joomla! changes all that …

Joomla! is different from the normal models for content management software. For a start, it's not complicated. Joomla! has been developed for everybody, and anybody can develop it further. It is designed to work (primarily) with other Open Source, free, software such as PHP, MySQL, and Apache. It is easy to install and administer, and is reliable."

I have a Joomla web site up and running http://starescue.info. I'm not an expert by any means. What do you need advice on?

Shaun

Shaun

Thanks for the offer. even a cursory look at our site suggests you have solved the problem I have. joomla! urls for pages are horrible and it is possible to change them to SEF urls like contact.html, pet-rescue.html, adopt etc etc. I have set joomla to do this redirect but all of the links/pages show 404 errors - every one. The page for each link is correct, for example the url for the link is http://ukstreetphotography.co.uk/cms/contact.html but that page just shows a 404 rather than the actual page.

I followed the instructions given to do this using Global Config setting the 3 required parameters and changed the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess. I then uploaded the JoomSEF extension which re-writes all the urls. Opening the JoomSEF control pannels lists all the nice new urls but it doesn't work.

On the joomla! forum I was told to "try the live site variable thing???"

Goto configuration.php and look for a value var $live_site.
Enter your domain address here like this:
$live_site = 'http://www.yourdomain.com'

That doesn't work either.

Any suggestions, it clearly has worked for you.

Nice site by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you need to do is switch on search engine friendly URLs when you deploy. According to my notes you need to log into the Administrator area, go to Global Configuration and set the 3 SEF buttons to Yes (or whatever options you require). The URLs then use the alias for the article to generate the URL.

It is documented somewhere on the Joomla site but this should get you up and running.

Have fun!
Shaun

What you need to do is switch on search engine friendly URLs when you deploy. According to my notes you need to log into the Administrator area, go to Global Configuration and set the 3 SEF buttons to Yes (or whatever options you require). The URLs then use the alias for the article to generate the URL.

It is documented somewhere on the Joomla site but this should get you up and running.

Have fun!
Shaun

I have done all of this but it just doesn't work. I even tried uninstalling joomla! from the web server and reinstalling afresh, no joy either. I would guess I have a couple of small things not quite right and that is scuppering me but I have no knowledge as to where to go or what to do. Any suggestions?

Oops!! Just noticed that you'd tried the SEF settings. Not sure what your problem is because it just works normally. What I'm puzzled about is why or where you are calling the URLs directly. I've never had to worry about the URLs within the site. If you let Joomla determine what the link is to the page, then it should give you a clue as to what the URL should be.

Hope that helps.
Shaun

PS Do you want to email me if you can't sort it out.

Oops!! Just noticed that you'd tried the SEF settings. Not sure what your problem is because it just works normally. What I'm puzzled about is why or where you are calling the URLs directly. I've never had to worry about the URLs within the site. If you let Joomla determine what the link is to the page, then it should give you a clue as to what the URL should be.

Hope that helps.
Shaun

PS Do you want to email me if you can't sort it out.

Sean

At this stage i have just uploaded the 'test data' from joomla! but if you go to http://ukstreetphotography.co.uk/cms/ you get the homepage which works fine. Click on any link, for example the Features menu item and it opens http://ukstreetphotography.co.uk/cms/the-cms/whats-new-in-1.5.html - the SEF url is correct but you get a 404. Try the News menu item and the get a simila correct page http://ukstreetphotography.co.uk/cms/news/joomla-announcements.html but again a 404.

If I turn the 3 Global parameters off the site works fine but the urls are horrible again. I know it should just work but it doesn't. I now don't know what to do.

Well, a big thanks to Shaun! Looks like it is now working, in part. I will pass up on the .htaccess mods and put up with the Apache mod rewrite being turned off so I still have /index.php/pagename.html rather than /pagename.html but hey, it's a start!

Thanks go elsewhere too……………...

Back
Top Bottom