support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

anyone ever record in stereo?

rabidsax

Account Closed
Locality
Lisbon
I am experimenting with recording stereo using 2 mics, one in 8-figure, the other in cardiod.

It's interesting how the sax goes back and forth between the left and right. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I quite often do. Or rather did - since I haven't done any recording for ages. One in front and one to the side.

I seem to think that the only recording I've ever posted on here was done like that. It was a college project on graphic scores that I did some years ago. Improvise to pictures sort of thing. It's on Youtube - I'll see if I can find the link.

Here it is.

I sound bad enough through one mic.

I use a stereo mic. You can shift the balance for different tracks or change the key of one of them for effect. I seem to remember on some old UB40 tracks, the sax is in one speaker and the echo is in the other.

My experience is that If you have good acoustics in the room you are recording, placing a stereo microphone at arms reach distance, will give you nice natural live sound and reduce the need for reverb effect and mixing. On the other hand, if the room has feedback noise and\or poor acoustics, you are better off using mono close microphone and adding reverb effects for depth and stereo effect. As far as I know, most professional studios record sax in mono with high quality reverb, so I don't think recording sax in stereo is that important, even if you have a good room...

I am experimenting with recording stereo using 2 mics, one in 8-figure, the other in cardiod.

It's interesting how the sax goes back and forth between the left and right. :)

Hi Rabidsax,

I had a play around with recording in stereo a while back, and started a thread about it. One of the techniques I tried was mid/side stereo which if you are using an figure of 8 and Cardioid sound like what you are trying.

http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?2427-Recording-the-sax-in-stereo-sort-of!

Some of the links were broken so I've sorted out the sound files, just need to find out where the pics went!

All the best,

Chris

Easiest way to do stereo recording is to get a stereo condenser microphone. I got really nice results recording piano with Zoom H2/H2N and even better with Blue Yeti (Zoom is much easier to use in a gig, since you don't need a computer attached). An experiment I did recording my alto sax with Yeti in mono and stereo, didn't reveal significant difference, once I added nice convolution reverb.

Back
Top Bottom