support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Anyone care to try to play my tune?

Account Closed
I'm working on learning my own original called Mr Roulette. The inspiration was probably Monk, which I must have been listening to a lot back then. It was first recorded in 1972 released on Freddy Roulette's Sweet Funky Steel album (1973, Janus Records), and I've played it on and off on guitar, but this is my first try on alto. I happen to have a chart for Bb instruments that I think is fairly accurate. I still am not playing the head exactly right. This is just a blues with a bIII instead of the IV chord and a modified turnaround.

I would be really happy if any of you played this tune on a saxophone. Maybe it would help me learn it!

EDIT: New take, closer to the actual melody
View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/mr-roulette-tuesday-take

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed that! I might take a shot on it on alto, although I don't think I could play it as well as you did. Very nice.

I would LOVE to hear any versions of this! I think it would be fun to start an "original of the month" feature. @nigeld @Jeanette @Pete Thomas
By the way, I could not get BiaB to do a good ending. I've added the SGU file if anyone cares to try something better.

Added what I hope is an accurate Eb lead sheet. No, that can't be right. I imported it to Musicore but I can't seem to get it right. Sorry. Maybe you can import the MIDI file and get a sheet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I downloaded the files. I'll see what I can do. I really like a blues and this is a good one.

Added what I hope is an accurate Eb lead sheet. No, that can't be right. I imported it to Musicore but I can't seem to get it right. Sorry. Maybe you can import the MIDI file and get a sheet.
Jeepers, that’s some scary file

Transposition on computer is above my pay grade! I think and play in concert and that's it. It happens the original was in D concert, so it works for tenor or soprano.

Transposition on computer is above my pay grade! I think and play in concert and that's it. It happens the original was in D concert, so it works for tenor or soprano.
Sibelius translates my rhythm like this when I play piano.

So, I'm just working on this melody now, and I'm playing a few wrong notes, as you'll see if you read. The notes in the chart are right, but the rhythmic notation isn't perfect, I think. This was done in Logic X. A great recording tool, but not wonderful for score editing.

I would LOVE to hear any versions of this! I think it would be fun to start an "original of the month" feature. @nigeld @Jeanette @Pete Thomas
By the way, I could not get BiaB to do a good ending. I've added the SGU file if anyone cares to try something better.
Let's see how popular it is :)

Great idea

Jx

I know, we struggle to get participants in BOTM and SOTM. I regret that, I'm a big believer in their value. I don't know how many café folks have written songs they'd care to try. I have written a lot over the years. As this is a simple blues, I figured it was worth a try. I'm considering doing the prep to try others. We'll see how it goes.

Sorry about the lack of count, I used the file I used to generate my version. Fixed:

Mr. Roulette 192K mp3 backing track with count in and a kludged fix for the BiaB abrupt ending. Concert C9#11

Great tune and great rendition by Pete Effamy. This in no way is meant to be a criticism, but just an observation based upon my experience. The dotted eighth sixteenth (dotted quaver semi quaver) rhythm in swing tunes is often used to indicate the notes are to be played in what I call a "ricky tic" or corny style with both notes being played short. When the semiquavers are to be played in a "swing" triplet style they are just written as two semiquavers. This, however is not a hard and fast rule. Many of the old "dance band" arrangements actually had swing quavers written as dotted quaver semiquavers and swing is sometimes described as "lazy dotted quaver semiquavers. This video clip shows an example of this "ricky tic" rhythm in a swing tune.

Hi JBT, thanks for the compliment. were still isn't universal consensus on how to write swing 8th's. As a jazzer, I prefer to see even 8th's written and just apply swing feel. Some write the even 8th's and then write 'jazz" "swing" "shuffle" or "triplet feel". Some still write dotted 8th + 16th meaning the same thing - especially if all thru the chart. If even 8th's and then the dotted turns up, then that's when you heed it.

Randy's chart is in some places an approximation of what he was trying to get down on paper with technology which wasn't listening to him. I don't think he'll mind me saying that. I interpreted Randy's intent, rather than his chart. :)

Back
Top Bottom