support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Microphones Any wireless mic suggestions?

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Café Supporter
Locality
Cambridgeshire
A while ago I used to use a Thomann t.bone wireless mic/receiver combo, which I seem to remember sounded okayish. I used it at tonight's rehearsal for the first time in a few years (having just used my vocal mic in the meantime), and it sounded completely rubbish, to the extent that I took it off the sax and just played through my vocal mic. Plus, our drummer asked why I'd stuck a lollipop on my trumpet (can we just say he has a long journey of discovery ahead of him).

Now, I'm going to play around with it some more to see if I've forgotten to press button A and move switch B to whatever...but in the meantime, is there anything else out there I should be looking at?

I use a Shure wireless system for my guitar, and they have a clip on mic (the PGA98H) that I think could just plugin to that. Anyone have any experience with this? Or other suggestions?

Thanks as always :)

Thanks GJ77. I've just had a look at some vids, and it definitely seems to be the pup's parts, but the price is a bit out of my league I'm afraid.

Thanks Spike. Can I ask which Shure wireless system you use? I have the Shure glxd16 for my guitar playing, and I think that the PGA9H should plug straight into it.

Also, do you experience any excessive feedback with the mic? My current Thomann mic feeds back like a monster...

There are two versions of the mike - one with XLR and one with TA4F connectors.
So you need to check your body pack transmitter.
The PGA98H needs phantom.
I have the GLXD14/P98H full system for horns.

Have had no problems with feedback - as yet.
I had a "daisy" system years and years ago which put me off wireless for life.
The Shure system really is a good bang for the buck.

Ah, didn't think about phantom power. Looking at your GLXD14/P98H system, it looks like you have the same transmitter as my system though, so I wonder if that means that it is providing phantom power? I agree about the quality of the Shure system, it's been unbeatable for my guitar so far.

What's the connector on your transmitter ?
Mine is a TA4F

I don't know but the guitar deal might have a different plug/socket.

Yep, mines TA4f as well. I've ordered the mic from gear4music, should be here tomorrow, so fingers crossed :)

And the man from Del Monte say yes :)

Sounds so much better than my old mic, but it seems to pick up more noise from the key presses - I'll play around with it to see how I minimise that. First blow in anger on Sunday, should be fun :)

Sounds so much better than my old mic, but it seems to pick up more noise from the key presses
In my experience, the clatter of the keys is imperceptible live; if you are playing alongside anything louder than a stylophone

Sounds so much better than my old mic, but it seems to pick up more noise from the key presses - I'll play around with it to see how I minimise that.
What's the final impression after using this for months (or not)?

What's the final impression after using this for months (or not)?

Used it live many times (and at rehearsals to get it dialled in). Love it. I've used it mainly with my tenor, a bit with the alto, and not at all with my sop, but it sounds great and works well.

Back
Top Bottom