Subscriptions and donations are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

Microphones Any wireless mic suggestions?

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Subscriber
A while ago I used to use a Thomann t.bone wireless mic/receiver combo, which I seem to remember sounded okayish. I used it at tonight's rehearsal for the first time in a few years (having just used my vocal mic in the meantime), and it sounded completely rubbish, to the extent that I took it off the sax and just played through my vocal mic. Plus, our drummer asked why I'd stuck a lollipop on my trumpet (can we just say he has a long journey of discovery ahead of him).

Now, I'm going to play around with it some more to see if I've forgotten to press button A and move switch B to whatever...but in the meantime, is there anything else out there I should be looking at?

I use a Shure wireless system for my guitar, and they have a clip on mic (the PGA98H) that I think could just plugin to that. Anyone have any experience with this? Or other suggestions?

Thanks as always :)

OP
TimboSax

TimboSax

Subscriber
Thanks GJ77. I've just had a look at some vids, and it definitely seems to be the pup's parts, but the price is a bit out of my league I'm afraid.

OP
TimboSax

TimboSax

Subscriber
Thanks Spike. Can I ask which Shure wireless system you use? I have the Shure glxd16 for my guitar playing, and I think that the PGA9H should plug straight into it.

Also, do you experience any excessive feedback with the mic? My current Thomann mic feeds back like a monster...

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
There are two versions of the mike - one with XLR and one with TA4F connectors.
So you need to check your body pack transmitter.
The PGA98H needs phantom.
I have the GLXD14/P98H full system for horns.

Have had no problems with feedback - as yet.
I had a "daisy" system years and years ago which put me off wireless for life.
The Shure system really is a good bang for the buck.

OP
TimboSax

TimboSax

Subscriber
Ah, didn't think about phantom power. Looking at your GLXD14/P98H system, it looks like you have the same transmitter as my system though, so I wonder if that means that it is providing phantom power? I agree about the quality of the Shure system, it's been unbeatable for my guitar so far.

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
What's the connector on your transmitter ?
Mine is a TA4F

I don't know but the guitar deal might have a different plug/socket.

OP
TimboSax

TimboSax

Subscriber
Yep, mines TA4f as well. I've ordered the mic from gear4music, should be here tomorrow, so fingers crossed :)

OP
TimboSax

TimboSax

Subscriber
And the man from Del Monte say yes :)

Sounds so much better than my old mic, but it seems to pick up more noise from the key presses - I'll play around with it to see how I minimise that. First blow in anger on Sunday, should be fun :)

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom