PPT

Saxophones Any Thomann bass saxophone owners on here?

john_dikeman

Locality
Amsterdam
Well you’ll see it here in the Yardsale, I have to follow the forum rules of not selling or implying sales outside of Yardsale. (I’d hate to banner from the forum!)
I won’t put on eBay as it’s likely to be local collect only because I don’t have a case, only a gig bag.
aha. I admit, I did not read the forum rules (hence my uncouth behaviour).
Ok, I guess I'd better watch the yardsale.

Damflask

Locality
United Kingdom
When I got mine it was 100% in working order. But yeah, the mouthpiece is garbage. I don't think I've ever bought a horn that included a mouthpiece that I used, though.
If you want a great mouthpiece which is really not too expensive write Ed Pillinger. It's a true bass mouthpiece. The way I feel about it is, why bother buying a bass and working that hard on it to have it sound like a big bari....?

I also have a friend in the Netherlands that refaces mouthpieces and is a bass player himself. He could probably hook you up with a traditional bass mouthpiece for around 200 euros. If you'd like his contact just let me know.
Sent you a PM John

Damflask

Locality
United Kingdom
Which is not a price increase per se, just a change in exchange rat
I'm out of my depth already here, but for somebody buying in £s, the price has gone up.
(Please bear in mind that I had to have my mortgage explained to be with two bags of nails.)

mizmar

Locality
Trondheim, Norway
Which is not a price increase per se, just a change in exchange rat
IMHO, technically, it's not a cost increase per se; it is a price increase.

The cost would go up if, for example, the electricity used to produce it went up.
The price world go up if tax, exchange rates, etc. increase.

Or the other way round :w00t: coz English is weird

Last edited:

Damflask

Locality
United Kingdom
IMHO, technically, it's not a cost increase per se; it is a price increase.

The cost would go up if, for example, the electricity used to produce it went up.
The price world go up if tax, exchange rates, etc. increase.

Or the other way round :w00t: coz English is weird
I know what you mean!
Bottom line is, that if I wanted to buy another one, it would be more expensive than the same one I bought a few weeks ago. Does that make sense? (well, it does in my world of voodoo economics at any rate :) )

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
It really doesn't matter who put the price up or why the price went up. If you have to pay more...it's gone up. :doh:

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
It really doesn't matter who put the price up or why the price went up. If you have to pay more...it's gone up. :doh:
Not necessarily.

If a site such as Thomann sets their price it is likely to be only one currency, probably Euros in their case. When you see it from countries outside of Germany, there is probably an automatic and dynamic currency conversion going on. Hence unless you are checking the price in Euros it could be constantly changing depending on the regularity of their currency conversion system. So you can't necessarily say that "they" have put the price up purely because it appears more expensive to you in England because the £GBP got weaker, or they put the price down in Australia because the AUS dollar got stronger.

I used to do this on Taming The Saxophone. I set the price in £ but customers had the option to view in $ or € and although the £ price was constant, those other currencies fluctuated daily because I had it set to reject current exchange rates. I stopped doing that because it was a pain for a small non-profit to maintain Paypal accounts in different currencies. So now when someone in the US sees the shop they will see GBP only. BUT there is a currency conversion done via Paypl or credit card so their actual price still fluctuates just as if I'd used the currency display.

It is possible that they could set the price for every different currency and change it manually to reflect actual price of the product changes, but I think that is unlikely.

Hence it could be the price in Euros has not gone up but the cost to the customer using a different customer will see changes that are nothing to do with the retail price set by the store, manufacturer or distributor.

Last edited:

Phil

Locality
France
yup. If you are willing to drink the koolaid that says money has value you also have to believe that currency exchanged have meaning. Both exist concurrently.

mizmar

Locality
Trondheim, Norway
yup. If you are willing to drink the koolaid that says money has value you also have to believe that currency exchanged have meaning. Both exist concurrently.
Have you ever exchanged something with evident value - such as, oh i don't know, say a good saxophone mouthpiece - for money? Obviously the money doesn't have the value of the MP (it won't help make sound etc) it just stores "value" and enables "value" to be converted to, let's say, food which has value in a different way... Sure it works by common consent; but without it you would be left trying to eat a mouthpiece for dinner!

Phil

Locality
France
I am in agreement with you. Im simply saying exchange rates are part of the same abstract structure as money. If you believe one to hold meaning you must subscribe to the second. My referral to it as koolaid was only reference to it being an artificial construct. To exist efficiently in the real world often requires adopting the unreal.

Phil

Locality
France
Yes, like in a different thread on another board. Its not music anymore. Its content.

Latest: Members' Recordings

Featured

Top Bottom