All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs Any one playing a Drake Bergonzi mp???

SaxterLoka

hi all, would like to hear from members who are regularly playing or test driven a Drake Bergonzi set up. General opinions, likes/dislikes! Thanks ;->

saxhornet

Locality
Berlin
These can be incredible mpcs if you like a more spread sound. Dave O'Higgins played one for some time. I do like it but personally prefer more of a more focussed sound. They play very easy. Normally i prefer a tip opening of 0.110" but the 0.115" was playing nearly as easily as a 0.0110".

SaxterLoka

These can be incredible mpcs if you like a more spread sound. Dave O'Higgins played one for some time. I do like it but personally prefer more of a more focussed sound. They play very easy. Normally i prefer a tip opening of 0.110" but the 0.115" was playing nearly as easily as a 0.0110".
Cheers. i have a couple of Ted Klums Focus-tone mp's. Will be good to play them side by side. will post the result. The Drake Gonz should be here any day. ;->
ps
Dave O'Higgins just sounds incredibly wonderful full stop. lots of diligence and intelligence no doubt. What a great player.

tzadik

Locality
Friulandia, Italy
I had the first "Bergonzi" #10* Aaron made... serial #001... and I tried an #8*... :D
I posted a review on SaxOnTheWeb: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ries-quot-tenor-piece-true-vintage-connection!!!!

The "Bergonzi" is very different from the other "Slant type" pieces Aaron makes.
It's nothing more than a great Early Babbitt "Florida blank" hard rubber Otto Link... perfected in some ways.
It has the "magic" that you generally can find on all Aaron's pieces.

SaxterLoka

I had the first "Bergonzi" #10* Aaron made... serial #001... and I tried an #8*... :D
I posted a review on SaxOnTheWeb: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ries-quot-tenor-piece-true-vintage-connection!!!!

The "Bergonzi" is very different from the other "Slant type" pieces Aaron makes.
It's nothing more than a great Early Babbitt "Florida blank" hard rubber Otto Link... perfected in some ways.
It has the "magic" that you generally can find on all Aaron's pieces.

Thanks for the heads up Tzadik! have read that before but that was good to re-read the lot again. lots of good info there foreshore. Will keep this thread updated when the Drake/Gonz 10* arrives.

tzadik

Locality
Friulandia, Italy
Yeah!
If you use to play with large tip opening and you need a big dark sound... you won't disappointed with the Bergonzi 10*.

In the "Early Babbitt yard"... I think the best clones are the Mouthpiece Café "Primo" (available till #8 tip opening) and the Drake "Bergonzi" (available from #7* to 10*).

Maybe the "Primo" is slightly more on the "dark side"... and the Bergonzi is more on the "bright side", but just if you buy in a smaller tip opening than the original 10* which was "copied" from.

La Chèvre

I love Drake's work. I play a 7* myself. It's very easy to play and can be soft or louder, dark or brighter, spread or more focused. I find it to be very reactive to embouchure and blowing variations. After (too) many mouthpieces trials I think this is one I'll keep for a long while.

Please note I've had some trouble finding a lig (other than my not always convenient, old but "universal" Selmer Magnitone) because the mouthpiece is a bit slimmer than usual. Have fun with yours !

tzadik

Locality
Friulandia, Italy
With the 10* I have no problems.
Going down with the tip opening... I noticed an increasing of brightness also because you have a thinner table (of the mouthpiece)... so the mouthpiece is "taller" in height, and in some cases a ligature for a very fat hr tenor mouthpiece (Otto Link or Vandoren...) may be a little larger.

With FL ligs or Rovner's lig... no fitting problems.
Try a Rovner Platinum... and you'll have a supercharged "Bergonzi".

La Chèvre

In fact I tried another one in a slightly bigger (8) tip opening and found it brighter. I guess it depends on the player ;o)

SaxterLoka

I love Drake's work. I play a 7* myself. It's very easy to play and can be soft or louder, dark or brighter, spread or more focused. I find it to be very reactive to embouchure and blowing variations. After (too) many mouthpieces trials I think this is one I'll keep for a long while.

Please note I've had some trouble finding a lig (other than my not always convenient, old but "universal" Selmer Magnitone) because the mouthpiece is a bit slimmer than usual. Have fun with yours !

just got an USPS update, should have it in my mouth in a couple of hours time.

keen to say the least.

have got a draw of ligs. no doubt something will fit. got a couple of those magni-tones my self.

im liking the FL ligs at the moment again.

will keep ya posted!

SaxterLoka

With the 10* I have no problems.
Going down with the tip opening... I noticed an increasing of brightness also because you have a thinner table (of the mouthpiece)... so the mouthpiece is "taller" in height, and in some cases a ligature for a very fat hr tenor mouthpiece (Otto Link or Vandoren...) may be a little larger.

With FL ligs or Rovner's lig... no fitting problems.
Try a Rovner Platinum... and you'll have a supercharged "Bergonzi".

thanks yeah the FL's are great! playing it real soon!

SaxterLoka

In fact I tried another one in a slightly bigger (8) tip opening and found it brighter. I guess it depends on the player ;o)

And I guess it depends on the reeds, and minds ear concept, and angle, and horn,and etc etc ;->

ps

unfortunately i tend to play on the bright side so I am always working on getting it as dark as possible....which does seem impossible.

we all sound what we sound like.

very hard to change even with all the gear changing we do.

we still sound the same eh!:sax:

SaxterLoka

my 10* bergonzi arrived today, demo on youtube as follows

http://youtu.be/6_jhZH74ecM

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom