support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Any Kohlert players here ?

Adrian63

Just wondering :
I've been playing mine today ( tenor ) and really do like it . A great robust horn with a big sound ; I'm waiting on different mpcs which I'm sure will enhance that. Cosmetics don't count for much but as a part of the package they help. The old pearl touches on this horn look superb including one great slab on an oversized G# key . Key guards are also very stylish..
Yeah it may not be worth a fortune but it's a rockin good horn for sure..
Anybody else have / play Kohlert...what is your take on them...any shots ? ( if there is any interest in this thread I'll post some too )
Cheers..

I have played one and it was awesome. It was during night that with other sax players we were comparing our vintage "underdog" saxes. I liked the Kohlert. It was a 50s tenor.

Well made. Big sound. JK style. Bigger than my beaugnier but less evenness between the registers.

Intonation was OK except the middle D but nothing different than most horns.

I remember that it was a great surprise. Post a picture of yours.

I have 2 Kohlert made saxes. One Kohlert soprano model 1927. Not easy to get get in playable condition. But a nice sax. I also have a "Pennsylvania" by Kohlert from the 30's. A bari with split bell keys and g# key is a small round botton. I never use it. A keeper.

My alto is a late 30s split bell keys. Lovely sax and sound. Plays as well as my Yani tenor. I've two other Kohlert altos, both needing restoration. A 30s VKS with pressed guards and a post war 50s model.

For post war I prefer the JK saxes. Warmer sound. But not a lot in it.

I have 2 Kohlert made saxes. One Kohlert soprano model 1927. Not easy to get get in playable condition. But a nice sax. I also have a "Pennsylvania" by Kohlert from the 30's. A bari with split bell keys and g# key is a small round botton. I never use it. A keeper.

I have owned a Pennsylvania Special for years. I always believed it to be a Keilworth stencil

It’s silverplate, with rolled tone holes.

It doesn’t play perfectly, but pretty good. Every so often I get it out and always think. “ this is great”
Reminds me of a conn 6m in feel and sound.

I forgot to say. Mines says “Made in Czechoslovakia", on it

Last edited:
OK..I've taken some very quick shots : it's been done on a pad so they're of poor quality but yeah...any interest in serial nos : details : logo etc I can do more hopefully of slightly better quality .
Let's see if I can get them up ?

20200902_134706.jpg

Nice horn, it's a pretty old one.

I have refurbed a lot of Kohlerts. Most I have done are not opp-bellkey ones. A few have been, though.

They USED to be GOOD SELLERS back in the 'fake global economic bubble - enjoy it now because 99% of you are gonna get royally screwed quite soon' days.

A Winnenden or 5X Tenor would fetch $1000-1100 easy (and they are worth it), an Alto could get $800 (also was still a steal). Nowadays in US, an Alto might fetch $600 if I get extremely luck, a Tenor will not get over $750-800.

I have done JKS's and Kohlert-Kohlerts. They are good horns, all thru their age range. Even the Regents and Bixleys (which are, honestly, essentially identical), their last and final models, are quite good.

Some examples.....Regent Alto, probably late 50's Baritone (funny pic, the bell didn't actually have a bite taken out of it....and it's the sheet guards which are the original guards, the wire ones are my replacements)
Kohlert1B.jpg
KohlertBari2.jpg

Last edited:

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom