support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Any Ideas on Mechanical Causes of Reluctance of G1 and G#1 to "Speak" Cleanly ?

rhysonsax

I love the sound of my Rampone & Cazzani semi-curved soprano but it has a slight playability issue that I would like to sort out, if possible.

The G and G# in the lower octave often don't "speak" cleanly when I move to them, especially if slurring onto them. I doesn't seem to affect the second octave.

I don't get the same issue on my other sopranos or other sizes of sax, so I think it is likely to be a problem with the R&C - either due to the design or to a mechanical problem, like a minor leak somewhere.

Any ideas of what could be causing this and how to put it right ?

Rhys

jbtsax

Subscriber
You might try the following test. Slowly slur the notes above G down to G in the following pattern:

G#- G - A - G - Bb - G - B - G - C - G - C# - G - D - G

I am assuming the problem does not occur slurring notes below G up to G, but you can try the following test as well.

G - F# - G - F - G - E - G - Eb - G - D - G

The results of this test may provide a clue as to what might be the cause. Also try making both soft and loud entrances on just the note G to see if it "speaks" in order to eliminate that the note or fingering itself may be part of the problem.

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm not getting very consistent results, but am finding that the F# 1 doesn't speak cleanly now, with either fingering.

Everything is fine in the upper octave, so I suppose the octave key makes the harmonic sound strongly and that sort of overcomes the reluctance to speak.

I think I will have to drag it off to the workshop.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

I took the R&C to the tech today and he found that the G# was lifting slightly (sorted by a minor turn on a screw) and there are small leaks on the Bis and the next pad up. Those two pads can only be accessed by taking quite a bit of mechanism apart so I have left the instrument with him. It will be good to have it back and in top playing condition.

Well diagnosed by @jbtsax and @Colin the Bear !

Rhys

Colin the Bear

Sometimes it's possible to work a cork shim or two into place without much dismantling. Sometimes a sliver of duct tape will shim it. Sops are so fiddly. Like working on a clock.

Top Bottom