Any Electricians here? With current (sic) UK qualifications?

DavidUK

The question is...

We're buying a bungalow shortly and intend to do some alterations. One of those converts the utility room (photo below) into a bathroom. In the photo the consumer unit is in a short passageway to a larder. The door at the back will be replaced by a solid wall and so the consumer unit will be surrounded on three sides by solid walls at that point...

Two questions:

1/ If I put an internal door, door frame, and fill in the wall above, on the open side of this so as to create a "room" approx. 1m square, would this alone satisfy electrical regs? If not, what else would I need to ensure is done?

2/ If I demolish the right hand wall and the wall behind the fridge (behind which is a single WC/cloaks) and the consumer unit is then fully exposed in the new bathroom, is there any sort of enclosure that can isolate the CU, i.e. a type of box/cupboard fitted over it?

Many thanks for any help.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
Further to my earlier facetious answer, my experience with electricians is that it is up to them to issue a certificate and so their reputation (and more importantly liberty) is on the line if something goes wrong and they are found guilty of manslaughter by certifying something dangerous. So even if one electrician says it's OK, the one you get to do any work and/or issue the Part P or whatever may think differently.

For example they may take into account the size of the shower room, if it's small then there may be more concentration of steam, if large and well ventilated they may think it's OK in an "out of zone" cupboard.

An enclosure sounds dodgy to me, ie if steam or condensation di get in the more small and enclosed the more likely any moisture is to stay there.

If it was me I'd weigh up the cost of building that wall/door to make it in its own big cupboard vs moving it the other side of the existing door. If you do the latter you end up with a bigger bathroom anyway.

Alternatively, does the door at the back open into a garage? If so you could leave it there and just build stud wall in front of the unit so it's basically in a cupboard in the garage.

But best thing is to get the electrician over to give you their opinion on site.

DavidUK

The door leads to a pantry down three steps. The pantry will be removed and the space becomes part of a bedroom on the lower level of the split level bungalow. If we move the CU, it won't be through that door into the bedroom.

The new bathroom will be approx. 9ft x 8ft, so not small. It will have extractor and opening window. From my research it seems the CU has to be 600mm horizontally from any zone, or over 2.25m high. Putting it behind a new door, in a locked enclosure within this new cupboard/room and having it over 600mm away from zones seems sufficient to me. But as Pete says, we'll get an electrician in asap to give us the final lowdown.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
Top Bottom