support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Answering Rhythms

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Café Supporter
Locality
Cheshire UK
I've just worked through a Grade 1 ABRSM workbook and the book said when writing answering rhythms don't use semi quavers to end a bar. I under stand the reasoning behind this being it will sound unfinished as it is a very short note . :)

The book had a lot of rhythm exercises and as I was getting bored trying to come up with different rhythm answers I did end one with a quaver...

The lovely lady marking my answers told this was too short too, would I lose marks in an exam for this?

Thank you :sax:

Jx

Does this mean end the phrase with a short note or end the bar with a short note. If the phrase carries on beyond the bar than I don't get the issue either the book or the lovely lady are talking about .

A lot of jazz rhythms end with a quaver due to the syncopation but presumably this isn't jazz.

I would do what the lovely lady tells me.

Does this mean end the phrase with a short note or end the bar with a short note. If the phrase carries on beyond the bar than I don't get the issue either the book or the lovely lady are talking about .

A lot of jazz rhythms end with a quaver due to the syncopation but presumably this isn't jazz.

I would do what the lovely lady tells me.

These are just 4 bars two already completed the other two to be completed by the student as an answer. It's the last bar completed by the student she was talking about :)

Jx

The ABRSM theory exams are still very traditional and steeped in the classical tradition. My advice to students when composing answering rhythms, or when continuing melodies, is to listen to and absorb a little of the styles of Mozart's piano sonatas or Haydn's string quartets.

Think in terms of classical periodic phrasing with regular cadential points (2 bar question, followed by a two bar answer). Make the last note longer in relation to those which came earlier to create a sense of resolution. When composing melodies, answer a rising phrase with a falling one and vice-versa/invert arch shaped phrases.

I realise that it's hardly exciting from a creative viewpoint, but in my experience, it satisfies the examiners because they can hear some musicality...not just a sequence of note values which is mathematically correct.

Hand it to them on a plate.