All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Saxophones Another Yanagisawa "Frankenyani" issue

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Being the owner of 2 new Yanagisawa saxophones, I have been following the post "I have the wrong front F key on my new Yanagisawa TWO20", by @Alexandra with interest. So I had a good look at my 2 Yanis this morning and noticed this "anomaly" on my SWO1:

20200912_104027.jpg

I've owned this sax for about 3 months and I never noticed it!!!!
In this photo, it's much more noticeable than in "real life", but now that I've seen it, I can't un-see it!
I'm not that worried about it, but ...how???? ....why????
I'm not sure I even want to get involved with the shop (sax.co.uk) or Yanagisawa over this,
Can you see it?

Alexandra

Subscriber
Have no fear! That looks like the right key for the Yany soprano...just checked my brochure:
20200912_101711.jpg

Edit: Sort of...hmmm...yours is almost like a transitional design between the 'pebble' like key and the more 'angular' design on the new alto & tenor.

Last edited:

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Have no fear! That looks like the right key for the Yany soprano...just checked my brochure:
Edit: Sort of...hmmm
The high F key is fine, the "issue" was something else....at least I thought it was an issue until you posted that brochure photo. o_O

The sax in your brochure has exactly the same issue!! The silver rod that the G touchpiece is attached to.

"problem" solved. Thank you :thumb::w00t::banana:

jazzdoh

It's an interesting idea, but the longest rod on my SWO1 is the low Bb, and it's brass. :confused2:
Ok maybe its not for strength then, all my long rods are silver and the short ones are gold I assumed it was for strength.
It looks like from images on the net that yours is how it's supposed to be, but it's odd that they just do one long one.

DavidUK

Subscriber

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
For the SW037 the UK Yany site says:

"G KEY
Silver Rod
Introduced a German silver rod to the G key to increase strength, redesigned the G# key so as to be adjustable in its pitch."

From: SCWO37 - Soprano Sax Curved - solid silver - Yanagisawa Saxophones UK

For the SW01 the UK Yany site shows the silver rod, but the spec doesn't explain it as with the 037: SWO1 - Soprano Sax - Brass - Yanagisawa Saxophones UK

All is well.

:)
Aha! It needs to be stronger because the G touchpiece is one the longest lever. You were right @jazzdoh !

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
The Wikipedia page on nickel silver:
... an additional benefit is that the metal is harder and has more corrosion resistance than brass.[21] Because of its hardness, it is the most commonly used material for woodwind keys.

thomsax

On my old Martin HC Committee (I and II) saxes the complete key system (key touches, key cups, rods) is solid nickel silver. On my "The Martin Magna Tenor" some keys, key touches and the long rods are solid nickel silver. But all key cups are brass. I think King also had some nickel silver rods on thier S20. So Yanagisawa is going back to the future!

Alexandra

Subscriber
German silver rod to the G key to increase strength
So is this rod more delicate or prone to damage on a soprano?

Yany don't have this feature on their other saxophones AFAIK, and other makes like selmer seem to just use brass rods on their sops..

Top Bottom