PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Another new sax

jonf

Well, this'll be interesting. I've just bought another sax. Nothing unusual about that. It's a soprano, from the Devil's junkyard, and unusually for me, it's new. So, what's odd about it? The price. Fifty quid. :shocked:

Now it is probably worthless crap, but the next cheapest new sop I've seen has been £150. The cheapest sax on the market by a country mile, so my curiosity got the better of me and I bought it. It'll obviously be Chinese, and is unbranded. I'm quite looking forward to getting it.

Needless to say, I'll report back on the outcome of this particular folly:)

LOL . saxes are getting so low cost that we can now afford to "Buy an Sell" at a whim. It`s all good. I can now buy a cheapo horn and tell the missis I`ve only got it for a few weeks until I do a review for the internet. And besides that it only cost £140 ,whereas my 1st ever tenor saxophone cost me £180 back in 1979 and that was 2nd hand and Czech.

My business sense would lead me to believe that the price of Vintage and Classic horns is going to go through the roof in reaction to these cheapos. I suppose time will tell.

I wish either Pete Thomas or Stephen Howard could do an in depth shootout with some new and older horns " I don`t include the Selmers or M series Conns " as it would be interesting to see how they stack up.

JonF: It's something special waiting for a sax!!!!! After nearly two years "clean from GAS", I'm stuck again!

Clivey: I agree, old and good saxes will keep their value. Some years ago I tried to switch to modern horns (Yanagisawas and Yamahas) beacause I wanted saxes that were better when it came to ergonomics and intonation. But I went back to my Martins. They are not tbetter when it comes to playablity but they have a lot more soul than modern saxes.

PT did something in that style a few years ago on his website. And SH has his reviews on his website. In Saxophone Journal this subject was covered by Paul Cohen, "Vintage Saxaophone Revisted" about ten years ago. But it should be fun to compare different opions about older/vinatage horns vs new/pro saxes.

Thomas

The biggest problem in Chinese manufacturing has always been quality control. There has long been a tendency to put everything that is produced on the market because doing otherwise it might result in a "loss" for the nterprise. This situation seems to be slowly changing. I would still hesitate to buy something direct from China, but I would be much less hesitant if it came to buying through a reputable shop, even if that adds to the cost.

I also wonder what the influx of cheaper saxophones from China will do the market of second-hand instruments. Selmer Mark VIs and the like will obviously suffer less in the short terms because they have such a strong following in the US. Quite a few vintage instruments are already very cheap, and they will presumably be reasonably safe. An important unknown is whether some Chinese producers will be able to produce something that does not depend only, or mainly, on price.

Like others I look forward to your assessment of your latest acquisition. If it is unsuitable, the write-off at any rate will be manageable.

The fifty quid sax

Well, the fifty quid sax has arrived. Good service from the eBayer, anyway. I've unpacked it, and what did I find? Well, a new sax, complete with straight and curved necks, a mouthpiece which looks awfully like the one which came with my Walstein (ie, awful), a sling, pad saver, white gloves (oh goody) and a really quite decent case. Case is certainly better than the ones you get with a BW.

Sax itself has the full range of features expected these days. Adjustable thumb rest, high F# key, front F, etc. So I whipped out the transit corks and gave it a quick blow with my trusty Bari Gold.

So how did it play? Well, just had a quick toot, a few scales and a couple of tunes, but, well, it plays. Just like a sax really. I had expected a fifty quid soprano to sound like a seasick snake charmer, but no, the bloody thing just works. Tone is a little bit thin, as expected, but perfectly OK. Played from top to bottom without any hint of adjustment, which is amazing in itself. Intonation is OK. Pads are cheapo ones just like in all cheap Chinese saxes (inc my BW) and a bit sticky, but they'll free up.

Did I say? A perfectly functional, brand new sax, FOR FIFTY QUID :w00t:

Smells odd

Aha.

I now have a theory about why the sax was so cheap. Feedback on another sale (a trumpet) from this seller was

"There is a very strong smell of a certain smoking drug that we are not happy wit"

:mrcool

I wonder if these instruments have been used as a cover for the, how can I put it, illicit importation of certain herbals :))):))):)))

Aha.

I now have a theory about why the sax was so cheap. Feedback on another sale (a trumpet) from this seller was

"There is a very strong smell of a certain smoking drug that we are not happy wit"

I wonder if these instruments have been used as a cover for the, how can I put it, illicit importation of certain herbals :))):))):)))

Having had a sop for a year I finally sold it 'cos I hated the sound I made (my fault, not the sop). In hindsight, I would have done better to forego the sop and have the wacky baccy that may have been hidden in yours! :shocked:

Martin

I am really very pleased for you. A playable saxophone, including a good case, for fifty pounds is not be sneezed at. I wonder whether even a low-cost Chinese producer could make a profit on such a deal. Maybe the seller wants to establish a decent reputation in the market.

Aha.

Might explain the weedy tone :)))

Some dealers will charge £200+ for the same sax you have. They usually say that they have some imput into the design, or set up.Don't believe it, if there is anything wrong, they just replace the horn.

Some dealers will charge £200+ for the same sax you have. They usually say that they have some imput into the design, or set up.Don't believe it, if there is anything wrong, they just replace the horn.

There's someone who regularly list new horns on ebay Germany who appears to be doing this. Fixed price, and marked as in need of some adjustments...

One wonders if these things are legit....

Somewhere along the line, something is not quite straight. I just can't see that manufacturing costs, shipping, import duty and VAT have all beeen paid when the price is that low. i strongly suspect the latter two items have been evaded. Not my responsibility or problem of course.

I guess I'll have another pair of white gloves to sell as well.