SYOS

Another Learner

AndyW

Another one to add to the list, Been wanting a sax for years, but just never really got round to it, My wife has just bought me one for my birthday :welldone, complete surprise, and I love it, Got a DVD with it which wasn't really any good and wasn't really making any nice noises, Bough a DVD by some bloke called Pete Thomas ;}, and we are getting there, Please look out for all my daft questions in the beginners section, Andy.

RedBottom

Hi Andy, welcome aboard. I joined (for the second time) a few months ago, although I've been trying to play sax for around 10 years now. They're very nice people here.

Andante cantabile

Andy

A pleasure to have you in the cafe. I think the Pete Thomas DVD gives you a good idea of how exciting saxophone playing can be.

OP
AndyW

AndyW

Thanks or the welcome, Its an Odyssey Alto Sax, Don't really know where that is in the quality or suitability for beginners, but we will give it my best shot anyhow,Learnt so much over the last few days from this forum and Pete's DVD, Chris' beginners diary is ace and a good read while resting during practice, Can't believe how much time I'm spending trying to learn, Must do some more practice, Andy

Phil Edwards

Hi Andy and welcome to the cafe. Congrats on the present, you're on a great journey now.

As the others have said, ask away if there's anything you're not sure about.

Phil

TomMapfumo

Hi Andy!

Welcome to the Cafe from all at the Skabertawe Button Free Tenor Sax Collective!:w00t::w00t:;}
We used to be play Down B'there, but latterly we play Over B'Yere.

I noticed the Odyssey saxes mentioned on the Sax Heaven website. Sounds like a good 'un to
start on. Do you have any particular aims in learning Sax, and any particular music that you want to play? I originally wanted to play/sound like Pete Thomas, but thought that changing my name by Deed Poll would be cheating!:shocked:;}

Hope you have a great time here!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
AndyW

AndyW

Tom, I really want to play to relax and enjoy, stuff like, Blueberry Hill,Wonderful World, slow and relaxing to start with, but I would also like to play Madness 'fun' type music as well eventually, Andy

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Andy, welcome to the cafe, Wonderful world is one of my favourit sax pieces. I love busking to it on the streets of Rugby. Enjoy your new found love......

"And Relax"

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Andy

Welcome to the cafe but before we go any further please don't start asking dafter questions than me I think I've got the monopoly

Your choice of music sounds great I'm just learning Blueberry Hill myself I would suggest the Guest Spot range of books with cd's to have a look at if you haven't already found them plenty to go at in them

The only problem I've found with the sax is nobody teaches you how to put the damned thing down.Good luck...john

ps Daft question I've got loads of sax music books but haven't managed to acquire Wonderful World can any body tell me a book it's in TA

Last edited by a moderator:

TomMapfumo

I loved the story of when John Coltrane asked Miles Davis how to end an Improvisation - "Take the thing out of your 'F@*+ing Mouth", was Miles' reply! Just a shame Coltrane never listened.............;}

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

OP
AndyW

AndyW

Hi Andy, welcome to the cafe, Wonderful world is one of my favourit sax pieces. I love busking to it on the streets of Rugby. Enjoy your new found love......

"And Relax"
Small world Taz,I was brought up in Yelvertoft ,small village just a few miles from Rugby !

JCUK

Hi Andy, from another beginner. I got my first sax about a month ago, and am having a blast learning. Have fun!

JC

thehunt

Hi Andy, welcome, yeah it gets you the sax, i too love playing ballads but you wait and see, you soon discover other players and styles and before you know you'll be improvising like a good un' on blues scales, then you want to scream and pop on the sax, just enjoy the process and don't do what i did and piut yourself under too much pressure to learn. I think my learned saxo's here will agree, it is the hardest thing to aquire a good sound, but bloody good fun trying to get there. Look forward to your posts. Phil
Tom, I really want to play to relax and enjoy, stuff like, Blueberry Hill,Wonderful World, slow and relaxing to start with, but I would also like to play Madness 'fun' type music as well eventually, Andy

OP
AndyW

AndyW

Phil. I play golf,so I am used to the crazy days when you think you do exactly the same thing with a totally different result, I have the sax in its stand all day and a practice then put it down, pick it up as I walk past and just keep doing bits n bobs,Don't really put any pressure on myself, but maybe in a few weeks set a couple of goals when I'm a bit more competent, The main aim is to enjoy it, and have a good laugh doing it. Andy,

Top Bottom