support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Another Late Starter comes aboard!

Zeus

Hi I am Ted from Greece, i loved the sound of the sax, when i was listening to Sade in my university years, i always kept the little pleasures of life for me, and i bought me a tenor-yts275, and some months later, another sax, a Jupiter alto, and i am trying most of the times alone, other times with guidance to find if the little pleasure grows more on me.

I struggle like everyone through real life, to find will and time to play more, i had to find a place where i can confess, that i wish i had bought something else, for example a buescher 400 instead maybe, my country hasn't any strong Woodwind store that let you browse in person various saxes, it is fragmented with 1-2 brands each, spread between cities.

After i purchased the yamaha, which my teacher played and looked in tone, i struggle to blow an octave higher, either i need more lessons, or a repairman to look at it, or to get back to alto for starters. But in the back of my mind there is the thought i would like to tell, that maybe i should let the Yama go, and get me a more smooth free blowing, possibly vintage horn, as i love the tenor equally to the alto, and will hate to see it in the closet, while the Jupiter takes all the love.

I changed the mouthpiece to a more free blowing for me A7 Rico Royal, that really showed the door to the Yamaha 4C which was purchased with. And i lowered my 3.0 reeds to 1.5 ones still...the thought that haunts me to change the Yama, to a vintage, is going strong. That strong that i had to register, and take it out my chest.

There you go, after a year browsing on and off, this beautifull safeheaven, me and my clouded thoughts are here!

Welcome aboard Zeus!

About vintage saxes... YTS275 is a great horn. If you still struggle with the second octave, a vintage horn would drive you crazy.

Hi Ted, big welcome from me.

I wouldn't change the tenor, rather find out what's wrong. Did it play OK for your teacher? Are you using the A7 on the alto, or tenor (or both). And which reeds (brand/model) are you using on the tenor?

Most important, have fun here.

Welcome to the Cafe, Ted. Others are better qualified to give you technical advice on your difficulties with the tenor, and your choice to stick with it or switch, as I am pretty much a starter myself.

For myself, I started on alto, but have been giving the tenor more "love" recently. When I go back to the alto though, I find that especially my lower notes sound very strong, so the tenor seems actually to have helped my alto sound. I completely agree with you when you say "I love the tenor equally to the alto."

Welcome aboard Zeus!

About vintage saxes... YTS275 is a great horn. If you still struggle with the second octave, a vintage horn would drive you crazy.

Thank you...and nice to see someone say that 275 is a great horn, haven't read such comments really.
And thanks for the info, i thought with a vintage would be easier, i wouldn't want to get more than i already am.Cheers...hm, or why not getting the vintage treat...i will seek the day i will get my hands on one before, and if i switch.

Hi Ted, big welcome from me.

I wouldn't change the tenor, rather find out what's wrong. Did it play OK for your teacher? Are you using the A7 on the alto, or tenor (or both). And which reeds (brand/model) are you using on the tenor?

Most important, have fun here.

Hi Kev, and thank you!

Well for the teacher it was ok, he said actually it was better than he expected, and that i shouldn't worry, till we practise for my embouchure. I am using the Rico Royal A7 for the Tenor, with Vandoren 1,5.

Welcome to the Cafe, Ted. Others are better qualified to give you technical advice on your difficulties with the tenor, and your choice to stick with it or switch, as I am pretty much a starter myself.

For myself, I started on alto, but have been giving the tenor more "love" recently. When I go back to the alto though, I find that especially my lower notes sound very strong, so the tenor seems actually to have helped my alto sound. I completely agree with you when you say "I love the tenor equally to the alto."

Hi there Saxplorer, thank you.
My build is for a tenor, i thought as well that it would help me for the alto practicing with tenor, but it was a struggle to practice upright, or holding it sideways for example when sitting, tenor is heavier compared to the alto which is like a feather, and less of a strain for me now. I did get a better harness too.

Hi Kev, and thank you!

Well for the teacher it was ok, he said actually it was better than he expected, and that i shouldn't worry, till we practise for my embouchure. I am using the Rico Royal A7 for the Tenor, with Vandoren 1,5.

Probably you, then...

One observation, you may find a smaller tip mouthpiece easier for now. Maybe the A5, or if you pm me your address, I've a spare, scruffy B5 you can have.

Yes i come to think so too, maybe i don't fit with my yamaha, or my yamaha doesn't fit with me yet, but i guess it takes some time for me to realize, that it's not the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean. A line used by my professor when he was at his early 40s, and he replied likewise, now, that i got over 40 as well, i see what he meant.
Thanks for the offer, but it would dust in the drawer for now, i plan either to return to my tenor with a new MPC, either i succeed in exchanging the Yama with a tenor i will really like and test beforehand, when i see myself advancing with the alto, i may be more wise, and/or able.

Such was the feeling i received when i blew my 567 Jupiter alto with a Vandoren A55...that i won't buy again a sax without trying it first, intensely, which i didn't do with the yamaha, i was too fired up, to get my hands on my first sax.

I tried though 3-4 altos, and strangely i picked the more student one...i blew the TJ "The Horn" first, then the TJ the signature/custom, the TJ Rev II, and the one i picked Jupiter 567, was the most free blowing and mellow sound i could make without fighting it...cause even the tenor was not in a battle with me, like the other altos were, lol, starter argo i know, i will get used to express myself accordingly using the forum more often, but it's how i felt...thus the nick i picked as well, joining the forum too.

I will get a B5 to test though with the tenor, the day i will take it for a check to my repairlady. Thank you.

Hi Zeus and welcome to Cafe Sax!

I am not that keen on current Series 2 Yamaha instruments, so can understand why you may not be that impressed - too expensive for what they are, in my opinion, and a fairly bright tone - certainly not mellow. I imagine it might well be possible to exchange your Yama for another tenor - Bauhaus Walstein, John Packer, Buffet Crampon T400 and others are all possible. If you are a relative beginner you don't need a tenor mouthpiece bigger than 0.085" - 0.095" and a reed much above 2. A Bari Esprit mouthpiece on Tenor is excellent, and a Bari Esprit II Alto is quite superb for the price also. I rate both above the equivalent Rico mouthpiece (I have a B5 alto and C7 tenor). Also a Runyon 22 is worth trying to find.

Anyway I hope you get some good contact from join ing the Forum, and I look forward to hearing how you get on.
Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Right on, thanks for the advice Tom, i appreciate it a lot, you described exactly how i feel, i feel i spent more than i got, even if my teacher was surprised, i, as a starter was not, i thought yamaha would be as mellow and vibrant as a Jean Baptiste with a Dukoff mpc i heard over youtube that got me to decide to buy, anyway, so i use the Vandoren A55 on the Alto, i think it's about 90'', and Rico Royal A5 on the tenor. I was given reeds No 4.0 when i first purchased the Yamaha:) and gladly, thanks to this forum and doing a little research, i went down to 3.0 then to 2.0, i currently alternate between a Vandoren 2.1/2 and a 1.1/2 but will practice with the 1.1/2 eventually and slowly go up.

After todays practise with the alto, i also found it difficult to play an octave higher too as with the tenor. Will update my progress though.

Exchange my Yamaha for a BW...well i should blow this horn too, but in two shops in Athens that i asked...they replied to me, "what's this?"...:( i left bewildered and i was in one of the fancier shops of musical instruments in Athens, i will give them the excuse that all such kind of shops work at most with 1-2 brands in saxophones, and that's it.
Now finding a good shop to exchange my new yamaha, it would really be, living my sax myth in Greece, lol:)

Saxplorer i am now listening to your recordings...even 10 months ago you sounded nice, and BW sounds so clear...you did have a superb progress. I like listening to the God bless the child, i will join and try to follow similar choice of songs too, some i really liked as well if you don't mind. In that song it was the tenor right?

Zeus, thank you so much for those kind comments. Yes, "God Bless the Child" was on the Tenor, "God Bless the Groove" was just a bit of fun on the Alto. :)

The choice of songs is mostly from following the "Ballad of The Month" threads here. It's a really good chance to pull a song together, perhaps one you didn't know before, and work on it till you get it as good as you have time for. Recording yourself and listening back critically can sometimes be painful, because you yourself will hear so many mistakes, but it is a really worth while thing to do.

Welcome to the caff©, Zeus.

Ted from Greece, is Olivia Newton-John really as fantastic as we were told?

ENJOY!​™

I admired her sweetness and looks when i saw her becoming a vamp in the Grease movie, through the years, growing older has been a blessing for her. Really she is way more attractive than she was young.
Did she come to Greece as well, and i missed her?

Hi and welcome, have fun. Zeus it seems you keep all of the decent weather for yourselves how about a little for poor old UK. Best regards and have fun. N

Seems like you've got OG taped. Well done. Keep him in his place (which is a zimmer frame section of a famous mental institution somewhere south of London).

I admired her sweetness and looks when i saw her becoming a vamp in the Grease movie, through the years, growing older has been a blessing for her. Really she is way more attractive than she was young.
Did she come to Greece as well, and i missed her?

Hi and welcome, have fun. Zeus it seems you keep all of the decent weather for yourselves how about a little for poor old UK. Best regards and have fun. N

Thank you Navarro for the welcome. It has also changed as well, heavy rains, moody weather, the sea has taken a gray tinge, but UK is rich in warm people, and young at heart, here, contrary to the weather, we could use some good and honest bunch of your politicians to poor old Greece please:)

Back
Top Bottom